VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, folks, my first post here. Recently I shot a 3 hour concert using my Panasonic HDC-TM900 camcorder. The continuous shoot is split up in 3.99GB AVCHD files. When played back on the camera, it is all connected with no gaps. When I import the files to the editing timeline (tried premiere, powerdirector and Magix), there is a slight audio/picture gap between the consecutive clips. I have spent day and night scouring the web looking for a solution. I have tried copying the entire unaltered file structure off the camera. I've tried importing with the original software (HD writer 3.0). I've tried merging the files using cmd, but no matter what i do, it comes back "couldn't locate the specified file". Any help solving this one would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You seem to be importing the individual files as files instead of the whole AVCHD structure. The cliplist info is essential to properly building the overlap.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. [QUOTE=Cornucopia;2502036]You seem to be importing the individual files as files instead of the whole AVCHD structure. The cliplist info is essential to properly building the overlap.

Scott[/QUOTE

Thanks for replying, but as stated, I have been very careful to copy the entire file structure off the camera. In addition, as someone suggested, I tried importing using the original software that came with the camera. This creates - in addition to the AVCHD files - these accompanying files which I'm guessing contain metadata. Still, when imported to the timeline, the problem persists. I feel like I've tried everything at this point.
    Last edited by newuser86; 16th Nov 2017 at 21:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's not just copying all the files (which you should), but you should import "the structure", not just the files.
    For example, with Premiere Pro, as per their technical help/manuals, always use "Media Browser" to import avchd, not "File Browser/Import".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. That's what I've done, with three different applications. No luck.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Did you try just dropping the whole media folder from at least PRIVATE on down, into the project window in Premiere?

What version of Premiere are you using?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Was your original card subsequently modified in ANY way? Sounds like something is missing in your workflow.

I recommend doing a volume image so you can totally back it up onto the HDD and maintain even the original sector relationships, and allow you to re-use the card in the meantime. Then mounting the image for import.

In Media Browser (PProCC) or Device Explorer (Magix Vegas) is the spanned title(s) appearing as combined or individual segments?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. This is a common problem and has nothing to do with what has been stated so far. The problem is that these individual files are not designed to be laid end-to-end in your video editor and, if you do that, you will get slight gaps. The same thing happens if you take the individual 1 GB VOB video files from a DVD and attempt to put them on your editing timeline: you get gaps.

The solution, in all cases, is to do the transfer using software that is designed to stitch these files back together without the gap. For VOB files, you use any of the DVD copy utilities. Most people think of them as way to break DVD encryption, but they actually do this other thing as well.

For your TMC-900, you will have to use the software that came with the camera to do the copying. Like the DVD copy software, it has lots of other features, most of which are probably really badly executed. However, it will take care of this problem and is probably the only thing that will do it. The software is on the CD-ROM that came with the camera, but if you don't have that, I'm sure you can find a download site, either at Panasonic or elsewhere.

I downloaded your manual, and you can read more about this on page 121 of the manual. There you will find mention of the Panasonic "HD Writer AE 3.0" software. That is what you need to use.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 17th Nov 2017 at 09:39. Reason: added last paragraph
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for replying. As stated, I have tried importing through HD writer 3.0. The separate files appear as one video within the program, but the files it produces are still the same 3.99GB blocks that won't merge in the timeline.

Now for the good news......I FOUND A SOLUTION!!!😃😃😃
    Came across this tiny little program called 'File Joiner'. Worked like a charm, merged the files, no hickups. Anyway, thanks.
    Quote Quote