VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The designers of SCSi should had thought about this.
    The bottleneck bug is the worst flaw in SCSi.

When a disc drive tries to read a bad sector or during acceleration, where only some drives (e.g. LiteON) can read data while others can not before reaching the desired rotation speed, it freezes every application which attempts accessing the disc.

Older disc drives such as the GDR8162B do not just permanently slow down for the current session (until next ejection) when encountering damage, but also never unfreeze until the next power outage when struggling too long with a damaged disc, which can be really bad when used internally. Even an ejection does not escape that state.

Why does this happen? Why does every program freeze when trying to access the disc drive?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A large part of it is up to the drive. My LG drive will hang trying to reread, while my pioneer will exit quickly saying error. If the drive doesn't report a error and keeps trying to read it will "hang". The transport doesn't know better, it's just respecting the drive telling it to hold on a sec. Its more of a firmware issue as I have many drives that don't do it while some do.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dannyboy48888 View Post
    A large part of it is up to the drive. My LG drive will hang trying to reread, while my pioneer will exit quickly saying error. If the drive doesn't report a error and keeps trying to read it will "hang". The transport doesn't know better, it's just respecting the drive telling it to hold on a sec. Its more of a firmware issue as I have many drives that don't do it while some do.
    Then, if so, why aren't drives designed to stay responsive during error sector access or acceleration?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TechLord View Post
    Originally Posted by dannyboy48888 View Post
    Then, if so, why aren't drives designed to stay responsive during error sector access or acceleration?
    I.e. it takes the rest of the computer with them, sort of. It is indeed a pain in the rear especially when you are trying to recover something from a damaged disk.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Why does the computer need to wait for read requests?
    Why was SCSi designed so poorly that applications can just freeze instead of continuing to work and waiting?
    What is the reason of applications getting unresponsive as soon as the disc drive hits damaged sectors?
    It should not be like that. Can anybody explain?
    Quote Quote