VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'll probably swap to Opera entirely
    Opera is owned by the Chinese. Suspicious for me enough I can't get out of my mind issue with some very popular cleaner. So there is not a fully reliable software.
    Edit: If I change to some other browser, then only choice for me is Vivaldi.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 15th Dec 2017 at 12:38. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Still more and more addons want to have access to your privacy settings and have rights to mess with them. I'm really confused, and don't know why, probably some sort of Mozzilla politics.
    I will stay with FF to next version and almost decided to go away from firefox. But what is alternation? Probably Vivaldi, I have some time to find more about other browsers.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. Every TAB has its own process now. If I do not use that TAB for a while I cannot even load that page again. These multiple processes might be going on before, but I did not noticed, no problems. Not sure if it is possible to switch like it used to be.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thinking about Vivaldi, successor of Opera, getting better with each new version, but it has also its own disadvantages (just from my point of view) it is compatible with chrome extensions. Here are some reviews I hope you can get to Vivaldi from there also
    But reviews for latest version of Vivaldi is very good.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi _al_
    I think here you find answer about what you are talking. At least I hope. HERE

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks, that is something else, I just want simple function , load many TABs and switch between them, when those TABs could be there for a while, like days, while working on projects.

It just starts to be "tight". 4GB and 64bit apps, looks like is not enough anymore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi _al_,
    don't understand well what you want, just the part 4GB isn't enough for firefox.
    There are shortcuts for switching between tabs. CTRL + tab to next tab, CTRL + SHIFT + tab to previous tab, or CTRL + 1-8 on numpad. Also you can open multiple tab if you have them in folder, right click and open all in tabs. There was feature, that seems to be missing now, that opened multiple tabs only loaded tab where you are active. At least this last mentioned is somehow related to save some memory, but can't found it...
    Or there is Tree style tab, which behaves like parent/children, so it can also be more "readable" for serious work.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Bernix

By way of an update, I changed the OS on this laptop, nothing to do with Firefox, but by way of a bonus now have FF ESR 52.5.3 so all the legacy add-ons now work. Well, at least the ones that are still available do! Obviously this is only a temporary reprieve and the same quandary awaits me, but it gives me more of a chance to figure out what to do. I still have FF 57 on another machine, so I can compare if necessary.

I felt safe with FF as it was, now I am looking for a replacement browser that gives me a similar feeling. I rejected all but two of the browsers available in the repos for my system and am left with Chromium and Vivaldi. I am using Vivaldi right now. Time and more testing will tell, but comparing the two I currently give Vivaldi the edge.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi DeJay,
    sorry can't understand idiom or phrase "Give something the edge" i don't know if you put it away or other way Sorry had not a english in school. Self taught person.
    But translating subtitles I have some knowledge, but not much.
    Thank you
    Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry can't understand idiom or phrase "Give something the edge" i don't know if you put it away or other way
    I just meant that so far Vivaldi is slightly in the lead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FF 58 arrived. Just letting you know. What is new changes etc.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  12. I am using Waterfox for most of my web browsing. It has Ecosia as its search engine and I would say it is about ninety percent as good as Google. The Video Downloadhelper Add On works well in Waterfox. I have the version installed that was before the upgrade to Firefox Quantum. I am quite pleased. I still have Firefox Quantum and I have the new Video Download Helper on it as well. In addition I have an older version of Firefox Portable, an older version of Pale Moon and finally Sea Monkey. The old version of Pale Moon has a Video Downloadhelper on it that can pick up videos the newer versions can't. Waterfox is a lot like Firefox but they still support a lot of Add Ons and they function quite well.

I tried Vivaldi and uninstalled it within minutes of installing. It like Chrome is too spartan for my liking. I suppose one can configure it to the way you want but I was too lazy to figure all that out. I think others here should try out Waterfox and I think you will agree it is a pretty darn good browser. Of course keep your Firefox and once the bugs have been worked out of your favorite Add Ons you can abandon Waterfox. It is nice to have options.
    Quote Quote