VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hi
    I'm a bit confused

I need to export from a dvd video disc to an avi file and tpmg enc is giving me the option of interlaced or progressive

the goal is simply to create a file version that can be edited in the future
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    DVD is usually interlaced or telecined (i.e, interlaced). Interlaced source should remain interlaced.
    Why are you using tmpgenc for this, and what tmpgenc product are you using?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks

it's what I have I guess

it's called mastering works 5
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    As i recall, TVMW5 only asks about interlace/deinterlace if you're encoding. You don't want to export that DVD to lossy encoded Avi, then edit and encode it again for several stages of data loss. What you want for edits is losslessly compressed AVI (using Lagarith or UT Video lossless compressors) and YV12 color (your DVD source is YV12). Then re-encode the result to whatever you want.

I don't know what you mean by "edit". If you mean that all you want to do is remove some parts of the video and keep the rest as MPEG without any major repair such as color correction or denoising, then you're using the wrong tool. You need a smart rendering MPEG editor. That's not what TMVW5 is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    right I'm hearing you
    the only reason I'm re-encoding from a dvd in this case is because I don't have the source tape anymore (from which I have captured dv-avis in premiere 6 a while back (roughly 15gb per hour so I guess not lossless anyway?)

So in summary

I) I'm just looking to create my final avi file to add to my original captured dv avi's you see. Are you saying that I should use say lagarith to achieve this?
    II) By 'edit' - I mean taking bits from each avi file and creating a kind of greatest hits. but also adding titles etc
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I'm afraid you're confusing us,. What is your source? Is it encoded and authored DVD? Or is it DV-avi burned as data onto a DVD disc? DV-AVi is not "DVD", regardless of the kind of optical disc it's burned to.

DV-AVI is a lossy compressed final delivery codec. You can use simple cut-and-join without harming it, but it has to be re-encoded to a format that's playable outside of a PC if that's what you want. I guess you realize that you can edit DV source in TVMW5 and encode the output as anything you want. But re-encoding it as DV just sets you back by another stage of lossy encoding, because you'll have to re-encode it to your final non-AVI output anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hi thanks

the original dvd was recorded on a dvd recorder only as dvd video. (as I have no avi-dv file captured directly from the camcorder tape for this tape - I'm just trying to create the dv-avi file another way - i.e directly from the dvd
    Quote Quote  
  8. Then you lost those original DV avi's, you cannot recreate them, because that DVD recorder encoded mpeg2 by compressing it to roughly 4:1, that DVD recorder creates VOB files and splits them after each reach 1GB. Those files are part of DVD structure.

There is a free softwares to extract that DVD structure (separated VOBs) into mpeg2 file WITHOUT any recompresssion. PGCdemux for example. So you get mpeg2 files from your DVD and store them for later use, editing, viewing. Those mpeg2 files should stay interlaced, as original DVavi's were. As long as that DVD recorder did not mess something up.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    _Al_ is correct. You can't re-create the original DV source after it has been compressed using MPEG2 or any other lossy codec. "Lossy" means that the original data can't be completely recovered. If you use free DVD extraction software such as VOB2MPG you can copy the DVD content intact to a computer. MPEG can be edited without further degradation with a smart-rendering editor (such as TMPGEnc Smart Renderer) and re-authored to a new DVD or to smaller MPEG files without re-encoding the entire contents. You shouldn't use TVMW5 for this -- it's an encoder, not a smart-rendering editor.

What you do with the copied DVD content is up to you, but you haven't told us what you want for final output nor what you mean by "edit". Editing can be simple "cut-and-join" or can also mean more complicated re-processing.
    Quote Quote