VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to get 3D SBS MVC to play on my NVidia shield, I am taking the bluray, using BDtoAVCHD to convert it to a SBS format and then MKVMerge to convert it to an MKV.
    It plays fine in 3D on everything I have tried except my shield which is taking it and making it a single frame.
    I have noticed that some SBS content works fine on the Shield. I looked to see the media info differences and the only things I see are CABAC is set to YES and format profile is High@L4.1. My MKV files are Baseline@L4.1.
    Is there something that can convert them or a way MKVToolnix/MKVMerge can just output that way?
    Sorry I am somewhat noobish when it comes to this.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Ben
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    MKV is a container format. MKVToolnix (MKVMerge) creates this container around different varying contents, which is called "multiplexing" (especially when more than one kind of content – video, audio, subtitles, etc. – are combined inside the same container).

MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) is a content format for video streams. Profile@Level value pairs are attributes of AVC video streams. It doesn't matter if they are raw, in an MP4 container, or in an MKV container.

MKVMerge can multiplex AVC into an MKV container. But it does not encode video, it cannot change its Profile@Level. That would be the job of the encoder (e.g. x264).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    there is soft that changes profile level. Just search for h264/avc level editor. But it only change level number, which means nothing. It doesn't change reference frames, nor cabac. Have to work your video properly, the best way is as mentionet LigH.de to re encode whole video.
    As mentioned on site, some players refuse to play video just checking this number. So in some case it can work. But in most from my POV not
    Do not connect me with that level editor. I don't know how safe is it. Just you can change the number. That's all.
    BTW Cabac is one of most powerful feature...

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Do not change Profile@Level without any relation to the encoding result. If the AVC video was encoded with Baseline profile, do not try to pretend it has Main or even High profile: That will confuse a decoder, at least with visible decoding errors, up to a point where it may crash or hang up.

If you really need a specific Profile@Level, encode your material with matching target values. But understand what the details are. This value is not just an alibi flag. It must have a relation to the actual features used while encoding the video, to ensure that it will be decodable.
    Quote Quote