VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello All,

I have a 90 minute video and I want to capture about 10 minutes of it so I can upload the 10 minutes to Facebook and youtube. I am fairly sure that the video format is MPEG but I am not certain. Is there a program which can examine a video file and tell me exactly what type of video a file is?

Assuming that the original filetype is MPEG or something universally accepted, what would be the best editing program to use? I see a program called AviDemux in the software section. Would AviDemux be a good choice? Is there a format I should convert the video to so that Facebook and youtube accept the file without issue? Assuming AviDemux allows video conversion. Is there a better choice? I like free but if there is a reasonably priced alternative, I am happy to pay.

I have been playing the video on VLC Media Player and it plays without issue. VLC also has some limited editing abilities and if you hit the record button when the section of the video plays that you want to separate, VLC creates a file of the video on my hard disk. I tried to use the editing capability a couple of times and it creates the file but the file is about 250Mb. I then tried to upload the file to FB and Youtube and the file failed after I waited about 15 minutes for the file to upload, the site to try to "process" the file and then fail. Not sure what happened.

Thanks, Bil
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To check video audio format use Mediainfo, or open file in Avidemux and click icon (i) on left top. Avidemux is fully capable to do this. Set start and end. Under timeline A and B icon.
    In video output choose x264 under configure set it on 22 or so. Default is 20.
    Under audio format choose AAC fdk and set to 128 f.e.
    Output format set as MP4
    Then save video as and it started encoding.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. Many thanks Bernie. I will give it a try. I appreciate it.

The video section that I want is a speech that was given at my wedding so the content is very important to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If is it very important for you so left it at 20 or go lower to 18. And set in video configuration in tab motion -> Motion estimation to uneven multihexagonal search and slider under this on 9. Also in this tab direct prediction mode on auto, And in tab frame, adaptive b-frame Decision on auto as well.
    But result depend mostly at your source. Resolution and bitrate that was used and content.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks again Bernie.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi Bernie,

Does this look right for the options?

[Attachment 43668 - Click to enlarge]

Here is what Media Info shows

[Attachment 43669 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by bpatters69 View Post
    Does this look right for the options?
    I recommend you use Video -> Copy, Audio -> Copy, Output ->MPEG PS. There's no point in you reducing the quality of the video before uploading. Youtube and Facebook will do that for you.

Or use Mpeg2Cut2. Mark in, Mark out, Save This Clip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    the problem is it is 450 MB with no sure it will be accepted. OP #1 it took 15 min. to upload 250 MB and no luck.

Edit: try what jagabo said. You get exact quality you have. If not success, try this, but in audio settings choose remix to stereo.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 9th Nov 2017 at 17:26. Reason: EDIT
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't know about Facebook, but people upload GB+ files to youtube all the time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You should have no problem with a 450mb file. Most of mine are between 3 and 6gb which upload to YouTube with no problems apart from the time it takes.
    Here are the YouTube video specs https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en-GB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I don't react on file size (just it will last longer than 250 MB). I just want to say the video is not sure to be accepted. H264 video with aac in MP4 container for sure isn't problem and size quality ratio is more than reasonable.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hello All, the reduced video was only about 250Mb and I was able to upload it to both youtube and Facebook. I followed Bernix's advice with regard to settings and the quality is as good or possibly better than the original. The Mediainfo screenshot that I presented was based on the original file and not the reduced version.

Check out the result. I cannot thank all of you enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biyafCWmPNo&t=7s
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by bpatters69 View Post
    I followed Bernix's advice with regard to settings and the quality is as good or possibly better than the original.
    Reencoding with a lossy codec like x264 can only have made the video worse. And since Youtube reencodes the video again that's two rounds of quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks Jagabo. I will create another copy and compare they two.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The biggest drop in quality is Youtube's encoding. They took your 250 MB file and reduced it to about 40 MB. So you may not notice much of a difference between uploading the original 500 MB file and your reencoded 250 MB file.
    Quote Quote