VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I haven’t ripped a commercial DVD (that’s mine) in a while so I appreciate your patience and understanding.

I opened ASDtoDVD on my desktop (running W7) and found the folder named Video TS on the DVD.

ASDtoDVD doesn’t seem to let me simply drag over the whole folder so I tried clicking open each file listed in that folder. It copied them into that window in ASDtoDVD you add to using that green + Add button.

There are 16 files. They open/copy into that box one by one until I reach file number 13 and then I get the error message – ASDto DVD not responding.

These 4 files – VTS _04_1.VOB (1,048,404 kb) | VTS _04_2.VOB (1,048,404 kb) | VTS _03_1.VOB (1,048,404 kb)| VTS _04_4.VOB (1,048,404 kb) are the 4 largest files.

If I add just those to the window and then press Start, will those files be enough to then rip to create an ISO file which can then be burned to a DVD by IMGBurn or Ashampoo?

The next 3 largest files are - VTS _04_5.VOB (254,716kb) | VTS _03_1.VOB (5,784 kb) and | VTS _01_1.VOB (2,710 kb) – will I need to open/copy them as well to get a complete ISO?

The remaining files are 114kb or less in size.

I remembered to change the format from PAL (Europe) to NTSC (USA).

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VTS_04_5.VOB is last part of the video. dont you have wrong name at VTS _03_1.VOB (1,048,404 kb) it should be VTS_04_3.VOB ? or something is wrong Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just copy the entire DVD with a decrypter....like DVDFabDecrypter.
    Does AVStoDVD decrypt copy protected commercial DVDs?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi hech,

Thanks for the link.

I'll give that a try.

I'm not sure what the limits of ASDtoDVD are.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Just copy the entire DVD with a decrypter....like DVDFabDecrypter.
    Does AVStoDVD decrypt copy protected commercial DVDs?
    Also "dvd shrink" but these are old if the protection is to strong you'll need something like "Anydvd" or for free "DVD43" as these take the protection out on the fly so any copying software read the disc as UNprotected
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hey BzERK IE,

I was reading reviews on the software section of this forum and many were admonishing using "dvd shrink" as too old for modern DVD protections.

Have you used either "Anydvd" or f free "DVD43" ?

If so, do they rip the DVD into ISO so I can then use IMGBurn or Ashampoo to burn a DVD?

Thanks so much.

Also "dvd shrink" but these are old if the protection is to strong you'll need something like "Anydvd" or for free "DVD43" as these take the protection out on the fly so any copying software read the disc as UNprotected[/QUOTE]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Anydvd Hd can rip to dvd or iso (img) but only the full disc. but if you have anydvd installed it takes the protection out so dvd shrink will read it as an unprotected disc.... i use AnyDVD HD so i know that any disc i insert into dvd drive is automaticly protection free
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi BzERK IE,

Thank you!

Originally Posted by BzERK IE View Post
    Anydvd Hd can rip to dvd or iso (img) but only the full disc. but if you have anydvd installed it takes the protection out so dvd shrink will read it as an unprotected disc.... i use AnyDVD HD so i know that any disc i insert into dvd drive is automaticly protection free
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by eager to learn View Post
    I'm not sure what the limits of ASDtoDVD are.
    Just have a look to AVStoDVD readme.txt file:

AVStoDVD is a flexible tool to convert various media formats to DVD compliant streams and author them into a highly compatible multiple tracks DVD with customizable menus.
    No ripping or decrypting capabilities at all.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you MrC
    I'm responding to a PM "eager to learn" sent me, I used DVDFab to rip the main movie.

In my example, If no further process is required, it can be burned as-is since it's less that 4.3 GB

For further processing in AVStoDVD, drag the IFO to the A2D window
    Reply "yes" to the indexing question.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	43666  

Click image for larger version

Name:	a2d.png
Views:	154
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	43667  

Quote Quote  
  11. When I open IMG Burn I’m provided these choices.

If I’m just trying to make a copy of a commercial DVD which of these choices would be best?

Write image file to disc
    Write files/folders to disc
    Create image file from disc
    Create image file from files/folders

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Just so I’m clear on all this, if the DVD I’m trying to make a copy of is larger than 4.3 GB (size of a blank DVD), then I need to use DVDFab which will create an IFO file but without fillers, extra's, menu's, etc. in essence just the movie, is that correct?
    Then, I Add+ that IFO file (created by DVDFab) dragging it into that window in ASDtoDVD and accepting Indexing and then clicking Create, is that correct?
    At that point ASDtoDVD creates a file (ISO ?) I can then burn to a blank DVD using IMgBurn or Ashampoo, is that correct?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Will DVD43 just remove DVD protections or can it produce either a folder full of files under video-ts which IMG burn is supposed to be able to burn or will it produce an ISO file which Ashampoo can burn a DVD watchable in a TV/DVD player?

I've not enjoyed success with DVDFab either the current nor older versions performed both on a W7 PC and a PC running XP.

Thanks so much.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I installed dvdfab 10 but kept being prompted to buy it and features for it. I uninstalled it and tried ripping with version 8.2.3.0 (21/12/2013). I watched a dvdfab video where they used version 9.0.2.6 (06/01/2013) but when I follow their step (as follows) I get errors where they do not.

1. in DVDfab I chose DVDcopy
    2. Main Movie
    3. Insert DVD (source disk)
    4. when reading the DVD, dvdfab displays the message – Error control – Retry|Abort|Ignore|Ignore All…

…but no matter which option I chose it never stops trying to open the dvd so it never copies/rips it.

My thought is to download and install version 9.0.2.6 from the "official" dvdfab website correct page.

https://www.dvdfab.cn/download.htm – would this be the correct site to download version 9 from?

Sometimes software providers can make it confusing about which program and/or version you're downloading so I'm interested in the exact link to version 9.0.2.6

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The version I have that works fine in XP is called
    DVDFab9132_avangate-675.exe
    47,314,840 bytes

See this regarding the error message:
    https://www.dvdfab.cn/faq/?type=dvd_copy
    scroll down to the section on read errors
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thank you for that link.

I'll apply each of those suggestions to see if they fix the reading error.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Rip it with makemkv, demux it with mkvcleaver, drop the XML file in chaptereditor and then drop all the streams into avs2dvd. Select the chapter tab and import the chapter file. Create a menu if you want. This is my usual workflow if I'm not recompressing. If I am I use hcenc and avisynth externally. Ironically DVD shrink works great now and days as most protection is aimed at the bluray market now. If the disc is already decrypted then utilize avs2dvd import DVD feature which basically demuxes the DVD to elementary streams for importing
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi dannyboy,

(1). Which of these chapterEditor versions do you use?

Download chapterEditor 0.51 [1.8MB] [Win] [Portable]
    Download chapterEditor 1.00 RC3 [1.9MB] [Win]
    Download chapterEditorCLI 0.01 [0.7MB] [Win]

(2). Which of these hc Encoder versions do you use?

Download HC Encoder 0.28 21-12-2015 [2.1MB] [Win] [Portable]
    Download HC Encoder old versions

Thank you and sláinte!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use 0.51 on the last tab for frame numbers drop the mkv or xml file in it. Make sure you pick 30000/1001 for the frame output even if its 23.976 (for pal 25/1), it bookmarking the PLAYBACK frame, not the encoded frame. For hcenc I use 0.28 if I'm doing my own dgindex/avisynth script. Otherwise just use avs2dvd as its using 0.28 as well.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Thank you so very much for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Anytime, I dont know your knowledge level, so if anything is unclear please just ask
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a newbie with limited experience so I really appreciate your generosity.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not a expert myself lol, mainly learned by tinkering, seeing what stuff does in AvsP, trying stuff on a slow PC, and reburning lots of dvd-rws to see what stuff looks like on a standalone.
    Quote Quote  
  24. That's the best kind of expertise - experimentation.
    Quote Quote