VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    i have recorded a dvd using a dvd recorder pioneer

I thought I have finalised it but when I eject and reinsert the disc to play it, it does not come up with 'FINALISED'

does anyone have any ideas as t how I can check that it is finalised?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A little more info might help.

1. DVD-R or DVD-RW ?
    2. Video Mode or Video Recording Mode ?
    3. Have you tried to play the disk in a PC drive ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dvd-r
    video mode
    yes plays in pc drive
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Can't you just copy the VIDEO_TS folder to your computer and burn a new DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by devdev View Post
    dvd-r
    video mode
    yes plays in pc drive
    Recordings on unfinalized DVD-R media won't play except in the DVD recorder that made it, or possibly another DVD recorder from the same maker. If you can watch recordings on a DVD-R using your PC or a using regular DVD player, then the disc is is finalized.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I may be mistaken here but AFAIR there is no explicit 'finalizing' of -R media. Insert a blank disk and a Lead-In is written to it. Then you perform the recording. After the recording is finished the recorder writes a Lead-Out. Put that disk back in to the recorder and you can not undo anything and write more to it.

RW disks have to be formatted AND finalized unless you just play it in the recorder. But you can un-finalize that disk, delete the content and write more to it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I may be mistaken here but AFAIR there is no explicit 'finalizing' of -R media. Insert a blank disk and a Lead-In is written to it. Then you perform the recording. After the recording is finished the recorder writes a Lead-Out. Put that disk back in to the recorder and you can not undo anything and write more to it.

RW disks have to be formatted AND finalized unless you just play it in the recorder. But you can un-finalize that disk, delete the content and write more to it.
    DVD writing with burning software on a PC works as you describe, but that isn't how my old Panasonic DVD recorder or my current Magnavox DVD recorder work. With both machines, more recordings can be added to DVD-R media until the disc is full or explicitly "finalized" by the user via a menu selection. (Once finalized, DVD-R can't be unfinalized.) Without finalization, recordings on DVD-Rs can only be played by the DVD recorder that made them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    someone once told me that if you right click in a pc open properties and there are zero bytes on the disc - then it's finalised - does this sound right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    someone once told me that if you right click in a pc open properties and there are zero bytes on the disc - then it's finalised
    yes, it sounds right.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by devdev View Post
    someone once told me that if you right click in a pc open properties and there are zero bytes on the disc - then it's finalised - does this sound right?
    Yes, that is correct. I just put a DVD-R finalized by my Pannasonic in my PC's DVD drive, right clicked the drive in Windows Explorer, and selected properties. Free Space was 0 bytes.
    Quote Quote  
  11. download "DVD Decrypter" it's free and there is an option under TOOLS/DRIVE to close "finalize disc"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BzERK IE View Post
    download "DVD Decrypter" it's free and there is an option under TOOLS/DRIVE to close "finalize disc"
    Whilst that may work in certain scenarios, it certainly is of no use to the OP. (or did you not actually read the entire thread ?)
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!