VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I'm backing up all my DVD's, to a harddrive, to play directly on my tv. All in x264 mkv.
    It works fine, but the Standart Definition do not look as good on the tv, as it does through the bluray player?
    The bluray player upscales the video, so it looks a little sharper/better!
    My question is:
    Are there any software outthere, that can upscale the video, while encoding?
    I'm currently using Handbrake, wich does a fine job, but does not have an upscaling option?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Can't you hook the hard drive to the Blu Ray player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    have you connected it via HDMI? I mean bluray. Upscaling usually wouldn't help. How do you have your HDD connected to TV? via USB slot?
    Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Problem is Cinavia, through bluray player!
    Yes, HDD via usb.
    I'm planning to use PLEX.
    And PLEX does not support upscaling.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had blu-ray connected through HDMI in tv mode HDMI and picture was superior to USB-stick through normal mode.
    To resize it by converting to higher resolution, you don't get more details (obvious) but size of your file will be SD 852x480 -> 1920x1080 almost 3-5 times bigger, in case you don't use x265 instead of supposed original x264 (it was just example). I believe your tv can do better resizing than re encoding to higher resolution. Or if you mentioned your TV set details...
    Software able to upscaling during encoding f.e. Hybrid, Avidemux, Virtualdub and many many more.

Edit: don't forget deinterlaced before resizing. If video is interlaced. It takes lots of computer time (deinterlacing and resizing and encoding)

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot. Will try it out...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is the final file size a factor for you? If not then rather than use Handbrake to re-encode use MakeMKV that puts the DVD in a mkv container with no re-encoding. ie size in = size out. Typically the mkv file would be around 4.7GB.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The file size is not total important to me, but I also crop the dvd's when encoding them. Many dvd's needs to be cropped just a bit. I guess thats impossible without re-encoding ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by bagmand View Post
    I'm planning to use PLEX.
    And PLEX does not support upscaling.
    So what? Your television will upscale it to whatever its resolution is. 1920x1080, perhaps.

You're wasting your time.

Many dvd's needs to be cropped just a bit. I guess thats impossible without re-encoding ?
    Did you feel they had to be cropped and reencoded when watching them as DVDs? The chances are good you never even noticed. Besides, the television overscan usually takes care of that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm guessing your Bluray player does a better job at upscaling your videos than your TV does - not that uncommon. Either get a standalone media player and run your videos through that (even a little Rasberry Pi running something like Kodi might do?) or get a better TV. (Note: that's a better TV not necessarily a bigger TV. Stuff like this is one of the reasons why the better known brands cost more than the no-name TVs from your local supermarket.)
    Quote Quote