VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seems like after awhile my BR writers no longer see BR disks but still work fine for DVDs. This is the second one to do this.

My fault? Or is it enevitable that when they fail they loose BR ability first.

I've been using a failed LiteOn BR writer for 2 years with DVDs without it showing any problems.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I dont think it lost its capability. Check if something with your firmware isnt wrong. Maybe "windows driver" issue?
    Check this site http://www.liteonodd.com/en/service-support/download/search_result.html
    And search for Smart pack. But it is 5 years old, so don't know if it works. But you have, I think, nothing to loose. Or try search for firmware for your drive directly.
    But first try -> Right click on the drive, properties and tab hardware. What is mentioned here?

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK Combi drives have two lasers, one for dvds and one for blu-rays.

Thus it appears that your Blu-ray laser is either dead or, more likely, dirty. There are guides out there of what you can do to clean the laser.

Also since this has happened to you twice it would be an unlucky coincidence to have two dead drives. Of course all drives will die in time. Only you know how often you have used it. Also with dirty lasers consider your envoirement eg a smoky room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Combi drives contain 3 lasers of different wavelengths: infrared for CD, red for DVD, and blue for BD.
    Otherwise, I would agree with DB83.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    D883 is correct

They contain only 2 lasers

1 x dvd / cd, controlled by 2 diodes
    1 x Bluray

First question should have been have you changed media brands ... a common issue overlooked (you must confirm the media parameters such as disc manufacturing information as this can change even if the packaging is the same but a new batch

Second is to power off system a replace both power and data cables ... minor issues here can cause all sorts of bugs to appear

Third is where we suspect the condition of the drive ... firmware update applied first(apply the last one even if it is the same version) ... lenses cleaning is almost always useless but give it a try

After all this and still no good it's time to seek replacing the unit
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mostly, I was just trying to get some comments about the drives and their loosing BR accessibility. I've tried these drives [LiteOn and LG WH16NS40] on all 3 of my computers. 1 XP and 2 Win 10s. and they react the same way. No recognition of BRs.

But, as a Moderator indicated in a different thread the WH16 is only $40 at NewEgg, so it's easier just to keep replacing them after a year or two than worrying about it. On one of the drives,probably the liteOn, I did refresh the the firmware but it made no difference.

Anyway, thank you for the comments

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have one from Asus, it is on amazon for 64 bucks, but I must say, no problem. Surprisingly it works better with cheaper Blu-ray discs (r/w) than verbatim. Less noise faster. Don't know why. And don't have wrong burned bd since leave main brand

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bernix

To replace my last BR writer I also went with a ASUS. But, I purchased the USB 3.0 model. Also, seems to work just fine but I noticed that when ripping some BRs it reverts to 2x ripping and others it doesn't. Strange I thought.

As an after thought to my original post. I realized that over the last five or so years I've bought so very few DVDs so maybe that's why the BR laser failed and not the DVD laser.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not acknowledging discs is always the earliest sign of drive death.

Lack of use won't cause it. Age does, used or not.

I've said this for more than a decade now: The longevity of discs is somewhat meaningless since drives probably won't exist in 100+ years, or even 50 years. Maybe far less. Show me a 100-year burner/ROM, and I'll show you somebody that actually cares about wild disc lifespan claims!

2-5 is typical. (Oddly, the burners in DVD recorders seem to last longer than computer drives, going strong for 10+)

This is all stuff I've explained before, both here and at digitalFAQ.com
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed that when ripping some BRs it reverts to 2x ripping and others it doesn't. Strange I thought.
    I noticed, when I copy Vob from newspapers DVD (DVD with movie that is attached to newspaper or released by similar company) It copy this Vob at speed 4-5MB/s. That is ridiculous of course. But I noticed it was Dual layer DVD, single layer DVD from same publisher 16MB/s reading, The reading speed should be 12x - 16x (DL SL). Here is speed specification for my blu-ray drive.
    But blu-ray 25GB is burned in 8 min.
    Add using Blu-ray disc for archival purpose, I believe after 50 or more years there still be possible to read them. If not at home, there always be the service to recover it. CD audio is almost 40 years old, and still supported. Since 3,5'' disc (included) I don't remind now, what digital medium for PC isn't supported or can't be recovered.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would like to update my original posts on this subject[ BR device wh16 ns40]. After losing it's Br functionality I just used the drive for it's DVD functionality and for that it has continued to work very well.

A few days ago I inserted a DVD in the drive without making sure it was was completely in the tray. Well, it wasn't. So, it stuck halfway in the drive. I ejected the DVD put it correctly in the tray closed the door and now the device will no longer recognize DVDs.

My only reason for re posting on this subject is now the device will only recognize CDs.

So the device went from a BR,DVD CD device to only a CD reader.

Thought this was interesting enough to mention.

Oh, I also re flashed the device with a new version of the firmware. It accepted the firmware but it still remains a CD device only.

Thank, Tony
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    Would like to update my original posts on this subject[ BR device wh16 ns40]. After losing it's Br functionality I just used the drive for it's DVD functionality and for that it has continued to work very well.

A few days ago I inserted a DVD in the drive without making sure it was was completely in the tray. Well, it wasn't. So, it stuck halfway in the drive. I ejected the DVD put it correctly in the tray closed the door and now the device will no longer recognize DVDs.

My only reason for re posting on this subject is now the device will only recognize CDs.

So the device went from a BR,DVD CD device to only a CD reader.

Thought this was interesting enough to mention.

Oh, I also re flashed the device with a new version of the firmware. It accepted the firmware but it still remains a CD device only.

Thank, Tony
    Did you try uninstalling the drive , restart your computer
    And let windows reinstall the drive ??
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try uninstalling the drive , restart your computer
    And let windows reinstall the drive ??[/QUOTE]

Did all of that even put it in 2 of my other computers. All, with the same result. CD only.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Compressed air sprayed in the drive usually works. Optical drives suck in more dirt than you would expect.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately blu ray lasers are not as rugged compared to CD/DVD especially on portable drives. Every 2-3 years my BD burner slowly just quits reading/writing blurays. Drove me nuts at first but at least I know why now and days. I try to stick to DVD for burning now because of this.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote