VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Comparing a BD50 untouched at 37Mbps vs Ultra HD re-encode at 26Mbps. Curious as to which should provide a better picture when viewed on an HD (1920x1080) monitor/TV assuming the re-encode is of high quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can't get more of what is not there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    You can't get more of what is not there.
    I'm not implying the UHD is generated from the BD50. The UHD transcode would be from a full resolution UHD original source disk.

I ask the question simply based on the fact that, during the early days of HD, it was prized to have a DVD transcoded from an HD disk original source due to the belief it offered a superior image - even at a DVD standards bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, so in theory it should be the same as well. But who knows, if that bitrate is enough. 26Mbits is quite reasonable. If it was done by someone who knew what he was exactly doing, I'd says yes. Also that UHD, was it really UHD or just upscale, perhaps not, just reasoning.
    Quote Quote  
  5. lossless is always better than lossy.. rather uncompressed is always better than lossy..
    Something is always lost in the compression.. (Compare scenes with high action or dark scenes)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes UHD could be just upscaled reencodes.. no new info added to the original resolution..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Appreciate the replies!

As for "Also that UHD, was it really UHD or just upscale, perhaps not, just reasoning.", that gave me something to think about. I do understand it's possible much of the UHD content available from streaming sites could very well be upconverted but what is the likelihood of UHD retail disks also falling into that category?
    Quote Quote  
  8. UHD sell thru exclusivity for now, it just starts, so sources are very likely to be some sort of "above" fullHD.

How much "above" that is a question, it could be 2k, perhaps 4:2:2 and upscaled so it is sort of ok to upscale to 4k 4:2:0. New movies might be shot 4k, but CGI could be only 2k, so I don't know how they bring it together, there is a huge difference to compute 2k as oppose 4k. Nature, documentaries perhaps 4k, or mixed footage depending on what environment it was shot.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check this site it should help you decide what is real or not, http://realorfake4k.com/
    Quote Quote