VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hy!

if anyone knows, please help me with these settings:

1.how can configure audio or video with direct stream copy (no convert!).
    2.where can configure 1 or 2 pass encoding and profil@level
    3.downmix 5.1 to stereo using ffmpeg: I want to add:
    Code:
    Lo = 1.0 * L + clev * C + slev * Ls ;
    Ro = 1.0 * R + clev * C + slev * Rs ;
    thank's in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1+2 are basic User Guide stuff. After selecting a preset, you can change most parameters in the right pane. Where you select the video codec, you can change it to PassThru. Where you select the audio codec, you can change it to PassThru. Profile and Level are set in Advanced, under X264 and X265 options. Number of passes is set in General.
    I don't know about (3). I only used default downmix until now, but usually let the computer or receiver downmix on the fly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case View Post
    1+2 are basic User Guide stuff.
    Thanks for your help, please tell me if you know myFFmpeg User Guide somewhere.
    Unfortunately I have AVI and don't found it in Advanced tab (I want to change Profile and Level)
    I found "number of passes" in General tab but where can change bitrate for it?

I don't know about (3). I only used default downmix until now, but usually let the computer or receiver downmix on the fly.
    I don't have 5.1system and the sound from my stereo TV for the movie Interstellar is terrible, I want to downmix using maximum front center (for dialog) and only 0.7 for left and right, what software do you recommend? (virtualDub can't open my file)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by atamo View Post
    Please tell me if you know myFFmpeg User Guide somewhere.
    The Mac version has a link to the web based User Guide in the Help menu. The Mac version doesn’t have the ? and gears icons in the upper right; so maybe look around there?

Originally Posted by atamo
    Unfortunately I have AVI and don't found it in Advanced tab (I want to change Profile and Level)
    What do you mean? Is your source AVI or your desired output AVI?
    Anyway, in the right pane, in Video, you must set a video codec that supports Profile and Level, like H.264 or H.265. Then in Advanced Options, choose X264 Options part 1 or X265 Options part 1, and you may there set the Profile and Level.

Originally Posted by atamo
    I found "number of passes" in General tab but where can change bitrate for it?
    In the right pane, in Video, you can set Constant Rate Factor to OFF (all the way to the left), set the Bitrate preset to manual, and enter a bitrate in the Bitrate field.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows version don't has User Guide only a Tutorial with How to Install and something with how to Trimming

What do you mean? Is your source AVI or your desired output AVI?
    Anyway, in the right pane, in Video, you must set a video codec that supports Profile and Level, like H.264 or H.265. Then in Advanced Options, choose X264 Options part 1 or X265 Options part 1, and you may there set the Profile and Level.
    I have AVI to AVI, I select XVID codec that supports Profile and Level but in Advanced Options where I find these, H.264 or H.265 is not for AVI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by atamo View Post
    I have AVI to AVI, I select XVID codec that supports Profile and Level but in Advanced Options where I find these.
    Ah, XVID, you hadn’t mentioned that yet. The GUI doesn’t have settings for XVID profile and level (or the profile and level for any MPEG-4 Part 2 variation (DIVX/XVID/MPEG4/MSMPEG4)).

It seems ffmpeg sets this Profile@Level on its own, based on which advanced features (B-frames, etc.) you set. Simple@L3 will be set for no advanced features (default XVID settings), but that seems wrong here, as that is set even for files that exceed the limits set for that standard. Advanced Simple@L5 might seem more appropriate, describing more complexity, more frame size and more bitrate. Probably most XVIDs should be set to Advanced Simple Profile. [Note that the levels for SP have a different meaning than for ASP.]

It seems ffmpeg 3.3 still sets Simple@L3 in the output file, even if you instruct Advanced Simple@L5 for the video encoding, by addition of a custom string in General:Custom Encode options -profile:v 15 -level 5 (case 0xF5). Unless you actually set one of the advanced complexity features.

I don’t think myFFmpeg can do anything about that. The underlying ffmpeg has this behavior. It has been like this for years, and the focus for improvement is never on older tech (XVID).

So to get Advanced Simple@L5, you should also change something from default to something specific for ASP (e.g. B-frames). 1 frame would do it (Advanced>Generic>B-frames).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems ffmpeg sets this Profile@Level on its own, based on which advanced features (B-frames, etc.) you set . . .
    thanks for help
    Quote Quote