VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Whenever I have Microsoft Word open to read docx documents, it brings the whole system operation to a crawl. Forget about using a browser whenever that program is open; it slows everything down. So I am looking for some docx opening alternatives..

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. LibreOffice opens most docx files.
    [Attachment 43520 - Click to enlarge]

(my LibreOffice is not even fully updated ATM)

(BTW you need a more descriptive subject line, maybe one with "docx" in it)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Check your OS, seem there is insufficient amount of RAM and runing MS Word will trig swapping, perform some maintenance, cleaning, do FS defragmentation, reduce number background processes, remove bloated and unnecessary features.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I agree LibreOffice is a good, lightweight, compatible alternative, but...

If something as pedestrian as Word is slowing down your system, either your system is SERIOUSLY UNDERPOWERED, or you have MAJOR incorrect OS config, or too much background processes (or viruses), or multiple combinations. Or a non-compatible plugin.

I do builds of hundreds to thousands of Win machines (mostly Win10 now, but some 7 and a few XP) which include MSOffice 2010/2013/2016, and NEVER have issues like that.

Maybe you should describe your system, and your running processes at times like those...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. I agree, there's something definitely wrong with the computer. A short term workaround that may help you while figuring out what's wrong: run Word at low/idlle priority. That will let other programs run without being being disturbed by it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Could be a macro virus. If that's the case, LibreOffice would be immune.

(But fix your computer, if it's broken, before installing any new nonessential software)
    Last edited by raffriff42; 28th Oct 2017 at 23:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Libreoffice, spinoff of the earlier openoffice project. Does well.
    Abiword, I have not followed them for a few years but it was a nice, lightweight and sometimes better than open/libre office of the time.
    DOCX Viewer Tool can also open Word documents.
    Quote Quote