VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Had one successful capture, but a second has gone from in-sync at the start to out by six or seven seconds at the end. Had another couple of attempts at it and still no dice.

Also capping VHS, via a USB-Live2, which had the same issue previously if I made more than three or four captures without cleaning out the drive. Working off a laptop, had to use the system drive because that's all I had. Now have a USB3 RAID0. Only attempted one VHS capture but it worked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I gave up on VDub capturing years ago. If I need lossless capture I fire up DScaler.
    Never used a laptop to capture though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The laptop is clearly capable, because it's worked once. I figured when it was happening on the C drive it was either disk speed, disk load due to the OS, or disk capacity. The RAID0 solves all those problems, moving from 500GB to 3.5TB of free space and tripling the disk speed (per BlackMagic's disk speed tester).

I've been using the default BlackMagic software to capture previously, which worked fine (capturing as MJPEG), but I needed to do all sorts of screwing around to fix field order, color shifts, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The laptop is clearly capable, because it's worked once. I figured when it was happening on the C drive it was either disk speed, disk load due to the OS, or disk capacity. The RAID0 solves all those problems, moving from 500GB to 3.5TB of free space and tripling the disk speed (per BlackMagic's disk speed tester).

I've been using the default BlackMagic software to capture previously, which worked fine (capturing as MJPEG), but I needed to do all sorts of screwing around to fix field order, color shifts, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I have never gotten VirtualDub to behave consistently with audio conversion. Always a small and unpredictable offset.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I often have to tweak by 2-5 frames. But it's consistent, and small, rather than a gradual drift of several seconds like I'm getting now.

EDIT: Tried DScaler. Selecting the Intensity causes the program to close. I can select the USB-Live2, but it defaults to Composite instead of S-Video and refuses to let me change it.
    Last edited by koberulz; 26th Oct 2017 at 22:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I captured S-Video with my USB-Live2 and DScaler.....I believe I had to set WinTV to S-Video first....then DScaler found it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    WinTV?

In any event, it crashes every time I select the Intensity, so it doesn't help with the HD captures, which are more of an issue than the VHS captures - which I've always been able to do a handful at a time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    WinTV?
    It came with my USB|Live2.
    It's also what enables me to capture PAL60.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Set that to SVideo, and could see the VCR output, but it hasn't changed anything in DScaler. I can go to DShow->Video Source->Video S-Video and click on it, and it's not greyed out or anything, but nothing in the display changes and when I go into the menu again the checkmark is still next to Video Composite.

And it's still crashing every time I try and select the BlackMagic device.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Set that to SVideo, and could see the VCR output, but it hasn't changed anything in DScaler. I can go to DShow->Video Source->Video S-Video and click on it, and it's not greyed out or anything, but nothing in the display changes and when I go into the menu again the checkmark is still next to Video Composite.

And it's still crashing every time I try and select the BlackMagic device.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is anyone able to help with the HD BlackMagic captures?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I tried going back to the packaged BlackMagic capture software and using the 8- and 10-bit YUV modes instead of MJPEG. Only managed to capture 25 minutes in 8-bit and 5 minutes in 10-bit before dropping a frame.

According to the Disk Speed Utility my RAID0 is fast enough most of the time for 27-28fps at 1080, with a checkmark next to both read and write for 1080i50 in 10-bit for both YUV and RGB...most of the time. Intermittently it drops significantly (from around 150-160 to sub-120), managing only 18fps at 1080.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I tried going back to the packaged BlackMagic capture software and using the 8- and 10-bit YUV modes instead of MJPEG. Only managed to capture 25 minutes in 8-bit and 5 minutes in 10-bit before dropping a frame.

According to the Disk Speed Utility my RAID0 is fast enough most of the time for 27-28fps at 1080, with a checkmark next to both read and write for 1080i50 in 10-bit for both YUV and RGB...most of the time. Intermittently it drops significantly (from around 150-160 to sub-120), managing only 18fps at 1080.
    Quote Quote  
  15. i use my blackmagic device to capture the video and line in on my sound card for audio and i never ever get sync issues now
    Quote Quote  
  16. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think I have either the inputs or the outputs for that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hdfills View Post
    capture the video and line in on my sound card for audio and i never ever get sync issues now
    I've done that before too. my problem was that I always had a 5 to 7 frame "drop" when capturing....but at least is was
    a constant sync problem and an easy fix. I forget what device i was using though.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, a constant shift seems unvavoidable but I can deal with it. Happens to my VHS captures as well.

It's the several-second drift that's the issue. The BlackMagic software keeps dropping frames in 8- and 10-bit YUV, but VDub reports no dropped frames capturing to Ut.

It seems like the sudden drops in disk speed are the reason for the frame-drops though, so if there's a way to prevent them...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your issue is more than likely a result of incorrect hardware being used, the dropped frames correspond to the capture hardware in this case the Intensity (Shuttle / Pro ???). I'm going to assume you are just connecting the BlackMagic card directly to your source VCR and then back to your PC, I learned the hard way that no amount of fancy capture cards will do that properly. Virtual Dub isn't the issue, it's more than likely being caused by the capture device dropping the frames due to the unstable VHS source; the solution is to get a DVD recorder like the ones in the Panasonic ES series (Plenty of threads on this) and put that between the VCR and the capture device.

Using these: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/366337-Proper-VirtualDub-timing-settings-for-best-...nc#post2338949

for the timing settings worked best for me and was what got me up to consistent 100% sync over full SP tapes. Ultimately you just need to invest in some sort of Line-TBC and that "Should" fix your issues.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not using the Intensity to capture VHS, I'm using it to capture HD, from a cable box via HDMI.
    Quote Quote