VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys,
    So what's the main hardware I'd need to rip DVDs specifically to HDD at the fastest possible pace. Does the speed of the DVD player (16× , 24x) limit it or is it the CPU or the source disc itself that's most important. What should I be looking for?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Easy enough to check. Look at your CPU, RAM, HDD usage during a rip (A direct copy of a video file, not a conversion.)
    With a MS OS, look at Task Manager for that info.

I would guess the optical drive speed to be the most important factor.

For a conversion to a different video format, then CPU speed and number of threads.

Other members may have different opinions.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would concur.

But I would also add that 'fastest possible pace' is not a good idea since it could create read-errors. Same that few would recommend that you burn a disk at maximum speed. For a 16x drive 8x really should suffice. And even that might be too fast.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks guys...
    Here's a task manager screen shot. https://postimg.org/image/213oxsx3ln/

Burner http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-BE14NU40-external-blu-ray-dvd-drive
    Laptop Dell Inspiton N7110
    Last edited by hcanning; 25th Oct 2017 at 12:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you are maxing out your CPU at maximum read ? Not good since other processes will require CPU at the same time.

Thus maximum read speed is pointless since the whole point is to get the mean average >> 1x for 4 gb would take 1 hour (Do the rest of the maths yourself). If it takes significantly longer than the mean average then why stress the system.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Ok thanks I'm learning stuff here. So the laptop is a dedicated rip machine and I set it to use all 4 cores of cpu. So it appears my burner can read movie dvds (DVD Rom) I guess at 16x so that suggests a 1hr/16 time to copy 4gb in my bad math. My issue is converting my DVD to mp4 and getting the right balance to optimise speed and resource usage. Does 3 cores mean I convert at 75% time efficency. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. This looks weird - copying should not take more than 10 - 20% of modern CPU - perhaps high CPU utilization is somehow related to other, background ongoing activity - for example antivirus real time scanners can be memory and CPU hog... normally for copy DMA is used and as such CPU utilization is quite low.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Did not get a straight answer to my earlier question.

Just wonder if the OP confuses RIP = copy with Rip = Convert and that screenshot reflects the latter rather than the former.
    Quote Quote  
  9. My issue is converting my DVD to mp4
    Probably not ripping but re-encoding.

Tell the software used for "ripping"
    Quote Quote  
  10. He's obviously re-encoding. The CPU is the bottleneck. Get a faster CPU or use faster (lower quality) encoder settings.
    Quote Quote