VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

I have a feeling that I'm trying to do something that cant be done.

I have Windows 10.
    I use Video Pad with great success...Love it!
    When I had my XP, I used WMM...it was fine.

I want to have scrolling text like in the beginning of the Star Wars movies.
    Video Pad has no option for this.
    However the WMM that I used on XP did.
    So, I installed WMM Classic on my Windows 10, figured I could create the scrolling titles, turn it into video file, put the file into Video Pad... Problem solved
    WMM installed without issue, opened with no problem, and I was able to set up the the scrolling titles just like I wanted, and I could drop them into the timeline.

However, when I play the video in the timeline, the preview screen is blank.
    I saved it, but when I look in collections, there's nothing there.

I really have no clue what I'm doing.
    Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do?
    I don't care if I don't have to use WMM.
    I just want to have a scrolling title clip that I can add to my Video Pad project.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Tutor
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    since nobody answered, about windows movie maker. It is no longer supported. Try explore in photos, and create here. I think it is successor of WMM called Story remix. It should have text feature zoom and pan effects, so theoretically it can be able to create this effect. But better way is to use some usual free NLE program.
    Here is how to do it in KDEnlive https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=116784
    But it needs some orientation in the KDEnlive. So it is run on long track. But it will priceless when you become familiar with this program.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. I *think* if you install WMM in compatibility mode for XP (right-click on the setup/install exe) and install to a folder other than C:\Program Files (eg C:\WMM) then you might be able to get Movie Maker up and running in Win 10. I'm sure there are plenty of the usual places offering WMM for download.

I know I got at least of one the Movie Makers to work in Win10 after a client took advantage of the free upgrade from Win 7. Unfortunately he threw at least some of his toys out and rolled back to Win7 before talking with me. It wasn't a terribly successful roll back as it took several hours to sort it out and get various printers and scanners working again. I can't remember which Windows Movie Maker it was and it was several versions of Win 10 ago so I make no promises that it will still work. Good Luck.

Edit: p.s. Once you've installed it, if it doesn't work immediately then try navigating to where you installed it, find the program's .exe file and try running as admin (right-click etc.). If that doesn't work then try changing the compatibilty modes as well. If you find settings that work then you can save them for that .exe file.
    Last edited by TimA-C; 24th Oct 2017 at 06:26.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Nothing personal, TimA-C, but I don't know how to do 90% of your suggestion. I'm just too new to this stuff.

I looked at the Youtube video on the KDEnlive link thqt you sent, Bernix, and the final product was close to what I want, but the instructions were a bit beyond me. The gentleman kept using the word "key frame", and I don't even know what that means.
    I haven't looked into Story Remix, yet.

It's a little frustrating, because it's tough enough for me to come up with a concrete idea as to what I want to accomplish in the first place.
    It just strikes me as unimaginable, that in this day and age, to do this scrolling thing would take more than a couple of keystrokes.
    I'm no genius (that's for sure), but it seems that it is easier to do the regular scrolling, and take a video with my phone and slant my phone.

Thanks again.
    If anyone has an easier way, then I'd love to hear it : }
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Keyframe in your case (only yellow text moving scene in star wars titles) there are two. In Non linear editing term. Start Keyframe and End Keyframe. Point A at start and point B the end. The position in between are linear motion A -> B Start to End .
    Here I made poor quality picture with three Keyframes
    I hope you understand it. Despite of my poor explanation. In terms of video compression is it little bit different.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again,

I don't know...I must be missing something...

I read your explanation and studied your picture (and I appreciate the time and effort that you've put forth by providing them to me), but I don't know why things seem so difficult to me.
    I've successfully made 30 videos over the past 5 years, and I've never needed to know what a key frame is, and I still I don't know why I have to know why, just for me to make a scrolling Star Wars thingy.

Moreover, I don't understand the instructions for how to just download KDEnlive.
    It took me 15 minutes to learn how to start a thread in here.

The computer age has left old geezers like me in the dust.
    Take my advice, guys......Don't ever get old.

If somebody were to have the time and infinite patience to walk me through this thing from beginning to end, then I think that's what it would take.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by tutorpros View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Nothing personal, TimA-C, but I don't know how to do 90% of your suggestion. I'm just too new to this stuff.
    Download the Windows Movie Maker file to your downloads directory (usually C:\[your log in name]\Downloads), right-click on that file and left-click on the pop-up menu option "Run as Administrator". As part of the installation process you're usually asked where to install the program. Instead of just accepting the default location (usually C:\Program Files) just type C:\WMM. It really isn't rocket science. Nothing personal, tutorpros!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay,
    I installed it to where you said. I opened the folder and I saw the screenshot attached (I hope that I attached it correctly.)
    The top two things say UNINS, so I stayed away from them.
    The colored film icon says zcode modified in March of 2009, but as you can see...when I hover the mouse over it, it says it was created today.
    I ran that as administrator and, sadly, I got the same result as in my original message, namely...

"...when I play the video in the timeline, the preview screen is blank.
    I saved it, but when I look in collections, there's nothing there."
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (7).png
Views:	226
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	43503  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try this on microsoft page
    and this there eighter
    I hope it helps
    Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the links, Bernix, but the last time I had to deal with updates, SP2 and SP3 packages, I screwed up my computer so bad, that I had to buy another one.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I'm not sure if this is a follow-up question or is totally unrelated, but you guys know 100 times more than me so...
    I read that Windows Essentials 2012 contains (among other things) WMM.
    I know that it's not supported, but I can still download it.
    Should I try that route, or does anyone know if it would be a waste of time or might possibly hurt my computer?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote