VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I currently have a receiver that can process AC3, but I plan on buying one that will have DTS.
    I have an MKV that has DTS only. I want to add AC3 so I have audio now, but I want to maintain the DTS for the future receiver.

Can 5.1 DTS and 5.1 AC3 coexist in a single MKV such that all appears/sounds normal so as to take advantage of different audio receivers with different 5.1 surround sound capabilities?

I'm using MKVToolNix to join/mux the two files.

Any sound advice? Pun intended!

TIA!
    Last edited by JBC; 23rd Oct 2017 at 23:41.
    From high up here above earth, it's obvious our perspective is limited.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    They can exist in a mkv,you just have to switch audios,they won't both play at the same time.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Make sure the AC3 is in sync with the video. Otherwise it’s pointless.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    actually one mkv file can contain very much Videotrack also. Not appended, independent on each other, audiotrack and subtitles as well. So you switch video stream and is it. I thought there were problems with video track was played with different audio track. Just tested it and it worked well now.
    I tested 5 video tracks with 12 audiotrack and 5 subtitles, but the limit of track is far beyond this (I belive)

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, that really helped me to understand that I have many more questions to ask!

But seriously, Thanks much!

Happy New Year!
    From high up here above earth, it's obvious our perspective is limited.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Hi,
    actually one mkv file can contain very much Videotrack also. Not appended, independent on each other, audiotrack and subtitles as well. So you switch video stream and is it. I thought there were problems with video track was played with different audio track. Just tested it and it worked well now.
    I tested 5 video tracks with 12 audiotrack and 5 subtitles, but the limit of track is far beyond this (I belive)

Bernix
    MOST containers allow for multiple video & audio tracks - it just depends on the muxers being used to put them together, and on the response (compliant or not, smart or not) by the downstream players, editors. I have worked out ways to do this for the various containers while experimenting with stereo3d methods & options, so can verify.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, MKV will allow both the DTS 5.1 track and the AC3 5.1 track. I would suggest muxing them together with mkvtoolnixgui and then make sure you set the preferred track as default or forced.
    Quote Quote