VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a folder from an older DVD that was ripped on my hard drive. Upon looking into the folder, there are several VOB files in there that I'd like to convert to mp4 to watch on my PC or FireTV. I've tried handbrake to do this however when I choose the folder, it chooses just one file in this folder that's approximately 55 seconds long. What's the easiest way to accomplish this task?

I am killing myself trying to figure it out.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Without knowing all the files you ripped, and all the details Handbrake detected, it's hard to know why Handbrake is unable to find a full playtime PGC.

A "DVD Video" medium is much more complex than just "a bunch of VOB files". Especially the IFO files contain information about their logical structure and content.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can copy/paste the files names that are in the folder:

Hang on

[Attachment 43491 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Video_TS.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	43490  

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Unfortunately it is not sorted by name, but as far as I see by skimming through, it seems to be more or less complete; being able to see the file sizes would have been helpful as well, thouh.

VTS_??_0.VOB are menus only. Among files with the patterns VTS_XX_Y.VOB, you will most probably find the main movie in the files of that VTS XX with the longest sequence from 1 to Y; in your case, probably in VTS_02_1.VOB ... VTS_02_5.VOB; so the VTS_02_0.IFO will be the most interesting IFO file for a converter which is able to use its contained structure information.

I hope you are able to guide Handbrake to look in VTS 02 then.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    let me resnip the files.

Here ya go:

[Attachment 43492 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    No need to write me private messages every time...

Regarding sizes and amount, your rip seems to be sufficient. Now you just have to discover how to tell Handbrake to look for the main movie in Video TitleSet 02.

Unfortunately, here I can't help you. I never use Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, try open VTS_02_1.VOB in Avidemux. If I were you just copy first 5 Vobs to different folder and open the first VOB from there. (it seems to me as whole movie), you can spoil nothing. In worst case you can undo that.
    Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    actually, what you want to do in Handbrake, you can do in Vidcoder (which is based on Handbrake)
    [Attachment 43493 - Click to enlarge]

But in Avidemux, you have more encoding option, automatically add Vob files too. But try Vidcoder choosing option on upper left corner. DVD, Blu-ray folder...

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried vidcoder as suggested and kept getting the generic "An error occured while scanning" Aside from their site does anyone know what else to do? I am in a quandry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    use then Avidemux as suggested in post 7. You can save this way main movie.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Bernix. I am hoping I am using it correctly. I hit the option for DVD and saved it. Wish me luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    just open the first Vob files I mentioned it is 02_1.vob. It will ask you there are other if you want to append it. Check if it is loaded correctly then. Length of video.
    Encoding is next step.
    Quote Quote