VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Old computer, old operating system, old motherboard with 4 SATA slots.....all 4 SATA slots used....3 HDD drives and one new DVD burner.
    Burner stops and starts very often during ripping AND during playback.
    Just too many SATA devices?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Could be a dodgy DVD burner or just that everything is old and something else isn't working properly. Only way to test your theory is to disconnect 2 of the hard drives, keeping the Windows boot drive and DVD connected and try again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Nope - for sure this is not a problem - i would search problem somewhere else (PSU? |software? cabling? deterioration with age?).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    isnt it asus drive and their E-green utility?
    I have also asus, but I generate pollution not to use it. But it can be part of firmware... dont know. But if is it Asus you can consider this.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please post the model number of the Motherboard. Someone may be able to assist if given all relevant information.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds very much like a PSU replacement might fix the problem.If you can afford it,increase the power rating by 50%.Had a similar problem on a 10 year old computer and it worked.
    Joe
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A simple check of a PS is to just hold your hand behind the PS exhaust fan under full load. Hairdryer hot and it's likely overloaded.

And depending on PCI slots available, maybe look into a PCI slot SATA adapter. I use a lot of them.
    I have a couple of PCs with 9 SATA drives and a optical drive with a added 4 connection SATA PCI adapter.
    And a 500W PS on both of them. No PS problems.

And as a added bonus, some SATA adapters will work with optical drives if it's just an interface problem.

I would also change out the SATA cable to the problem drive and make sure all internal connectors are seated properly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm going to TRY to work on these suggestions today. This is a brand new LiteOn drive(my first SATA optical believe it or not).
    If I can solve this problem maybe I can solve the same problem my wife's laptop has....same bullshit "stopping and starting"
    of her burner while ripping....even while ripping audio CDs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I'm going to TRY to work on these suggestions today. This is a brand new LiteOn drive(my first SATA optical believe it or not).
    If I can solve this problem maybe I can solve the same problem my wife's laptop has....same bullshit "stopping and starting"
    2 computer with same issue sounds like software issue... did you installed something new? such as antivirus (those nasty real time monitoring activity can be pain) - poorly written, analysing all "suspicious activity" can saturate CPU. Or you have other SW problem (unwanted one) - i would focus also on analysing system - unnecessary processes,automatically starting in background, frequent swapping when memory is out or more trivial thing - HW issue with one of HDD - check HDD "health" status - perhaps one of HDD struggle with death...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    2 computer with same issue sounds like software issue... did you installed something new? such as antivirus (those nasty real time monitoring activity can be pain) - poorly written, analysing all "suspicious activity" can saturate CPU. Or you have other SW problem (unwanted one) - i would focus also on analysing system - unnecessary processes,automatically starting in background, frequent swapping when memory is out or more trivial thing - HW issue with one of HDD - check HDD "health" status - perhaps one of HDD struggle with death...
    It's worth investigating but hers is a Windows 8 laptop, and this is my old XP PC.
    I can't think of any software cross-overs, I think she is running Defender but I'm certainly going to shut down Avast and check the drive again.

Oh and my motherboard is an MSi K9N V2(maybe V3).....nothing special.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well....I'm almost convinced the problem is indeed with Avast.
    While offline, I stopped all of Avast's "Shields" and no hiccups at all.

Not sure if my wife has Avast(she is out of town) on her laptop but that would be sort of great if she does....that
    would probably solve her ripping problem.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Well....I'm almost convinced the problem is indeed with Avast.
    While offline, I stopped all of Avast's "Shields" and no hiccups at all.

Not sure if my wife has Avast(she is out of town) on her laptop but that would be sort of great if she does....that
    would probably solve her ripping problem.
    Perhaps you should raise this issue to Avast? Perhaps (hope is a mother of stupid) they can fix this behaviour?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know it is easy to find, but it should help

• Scan when attaching: specify the file types you want File System Shield to scan on removable media devices (such as USBs or DVDs).
    • Exclusions: specify files or folders that you want File System Shield to ignore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    I know it is easy to find, but it should help

• Scan when attaching: specify the file types you want File System Shield to scan on removable media devices (such as USBs or DVDs).
    • Exclusions: specify files or folders that you want File System Shield to ignore.
    Easy to find but NOT easy for me to understand.
    THANK YOU for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    It is in filesystem shield. Try deactivate them to see if something changes. It checking your DVD drive when inserted. Or probably set your drive to exclusion E:\ or what letter your dvd has. Or probably Letter:\*
    Edit: to exclude for all shields Settings ▸ General ▸ Exclusions

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 25th Oct 2017 at 00:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Hi
    It is in filesystem shield. Try deactivate them to see if something changes. It checking your DVD drive when inserted. Or probably set your drive to exclusion E:\ or what letter your dvd has. Or probably Letter:\*
    Edit: to exclude for all shields Settings ▸ General ▸ Exclusions

Bernix
    I disabled Avast completely yesterday and the drive acted normally.
    I just now "excluded" my two burners to test later if that does the trick as well.
    Now I need to start work on my wife's laptop tomorrow.....to see if she has Avast. Her laptop was the first to
    do this stop/start nonsense while ripping.
    Funny thing is....this never happened on my IDE drives. This is my first SATA optical drive/burner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Is it normal for ffmpeg to be running while I'm using DVDShrink?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Is it normal for ffmpeg to be running while I'm using DVDShrink?
    Install https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer and check process tree - if ffmpeg is listed as child of DVDShrink then Yes.
    Quote Quote