VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to play back tapes on my camcorder so that I get the video (including my youngest son's birth) into a more useful format, but the video skips a bit and then the camera shuts down.

The only answer I got from JVC was to mail it to their service centre, with zero indication how much it would cost. I've read some info that cleaning it might help, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about that or, if it requires a cleaning tape, what kind I would need.

The camera hasn't really be used for about 5 years, I discovered it cleaning a couple weeks ago, so it's hopefully just dusty since it worked fine that last time I used it.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. The camera is a JVC model GR-D770U
    Quote Quote  
  2. bump
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    MiniDV camcorders are cheap, you can get a working used one rather than try to fix yours for a lot of money.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MiniDV camcorders are cheap, you can get a working used one rather than try to fix yours for a lot of money.
    True, but make sure you get at least the same make as the one the tapes were recorded on and preferably the same model. DV camcorders are notorious for different brands not playing each others' tapes properly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DeJay View Post
    True, but make sure you get at least the same make as the one the tapes were recorded on and preferably the same model. DV camcorders are notorious for different brands not playing each others' tapes properly.
    I'm not aware that digital camcorders have this issue as well, I though only analog camcorders are prone to the incompatibly issue between camcorders. Though I have a Sony miniDV camcorder and I played several tapes in it from different customers with no issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably not problem on panasonic and sony, but DVCPRO is using wider track pitch.
    From wikipedia
    When recorded to tape, DVCPRO uses wider track pitch - 18 μm vs. 10 μm of baseline DV, which reduces the chance of dropout errors during recording. Two extra longitudinal tracks provide support for audio cue and for timecode control. Tape is transported 80% faster compared to baseline DV, resulting in shorter recording time. Long Play mode is not available.
    Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by CuriousJane View Post
    I'm trying to play back tapes on my camcorder so that I get the video (including my youngest son's birth) into a more useful format, but the video skips a bit and then the camera shuts down.
    Most likely a mechanical problem. Can you see if both reels are turning?

The only answer I got from JVC was to mail it to their service centre, with zero indication how much it would cost. I've read some info that cleaning it might help, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about that or, if it requires a cleaning tape, what kind I would need.
    You can clean everything except the drum with cotton buds and 99% isopropyl alcohol. The drum and video heads should be cleaned with chamois swabs and alcohol.

The camera hasn't really be used for about 5 years, I discovered it cleaning a couple weeks ago, so it's hopefully just dusty since it worked fine that last time I used it.
    Cleaning is not a bad idea, but your camera probably needs to be re-lubricated. Lubricants turn to sludge over time and stop up the works.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Originally Posted by CuriousJane View Post
    I'm trying to play back tapes on my camcorder so that I get the video (including my youngest son's birth) into a more useful format, but the video skips a bit and then the camera shuts down.
    Most likely a mechanical problem. Can you see if both reels are turning?

You can clean everything except the drum with cotton buds and 99% isopropyl alcohol. The drum and video heads should be cleaned with chamois swabs and alcohol.

Cleaning is not a bad idea, but your camera probably needs to be re-lubricated. Lubricants turn to sludge over time and stop up the works.
    Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I don't suppose you have a link that gives info on re-lubricating a camera, or would it need to be serviced for that?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    That's not a job you want to take on yourself unless you have the proper tools and the patience of a watchmaker.
    Quote Quote