VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello together,

I´m the first time here and sitting in Extremadura Spain a bit isolated from the "information stream" ...

I made treed days an impressive effort for an internet research but cant come to a conclusion.
    Im coming from photography and work generally on a quite good level. But audio is something different.
    I do a lot of wildlife video with the Nikon D4 and D500, 500mm f4, 2kg-Sachtler head, ... and all this by motor bike.

Often the audio signals are pretty weak. As an solution I found this comment from Jörgen Karlsson, a experienced nature field recorder.

"You gain even more flexibility for a future microphone upgrade path by adding a mixer to your portable recorder kit. The idea is to include a preamp as the bridge between a professional microphone and the recorder."

I have a Zoom H5 recorder yet. I would like to grab with for ex. Sennheiser MKE600 shotgun mic, this signal should go to a pre amp and from there to the Zoom H5. From Zoom H5 there is a recording in the DSLR and in the H5 himself. This is what I understand from the sentence of J. Karlsson.

I made a very big research and copied all in a word-document. Finally I found a Sound Devices MP-1 single channel preamplifier. This won my trust.
    But now I found a video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Olu5o20BHE
    that is not so easy to understand for me although my English is not so bad. The boy has doubts in this device.
    So I look for this solution: a weak signal is coming into a shotgun mic and from there in a preamp that allows that the gain of the Zoom H5 has not to be pushed to maximum to minimize hiss. By a cable the sound goes to the DSLR and is recorded in wav in the H5.

Is this possible with the MP-1 or do you know an other small and compact preamp to do this?
    In most videos they speak about the H5 and a preamp as replacements and not in combination.

Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    So, I bought a Wendt X3 preamp in USA. Will last a while as I´m in Spain. Will see how it works ...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I got a Seramonic SmartRig and a FetHead Phantom as preamps yet. Both make a pretty good job on the DSLR connecting microphone with preamp and preamp with DSLR. Best work the combination of both preamps. Very nice is to use it with the compact plugs from Ambient Recording, Munich, called Low-Profile plugs.
    Last edited by thomas_alemania; 25th Nov 2017 at 03:22.
    Quote Quote