VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I need those who can to go back 10-15 years...

I'm trying to capture video via firewire from a Sony Hi8 camera through a Canon ZR40 MiniDV...

I'm using an old laptop with Win XP because it is the only machine I have with firewire. I want to use Windows Movie Maker to capture (always worked well for me in the past when capturing from DV tape).

The ZR40 is pass-thru capable, and I have the Hi8 playing and displaying on the ZR40; the ZR40 is in AV-DV out mode. Everything should be ready to go...

The problem is that I can't get WMM to capture the video. The only method I can find is "capture from video device"; all other options are for importing files. However, when I try that method, all I get is a black display in the preview, as it wants to record from the tape in the ZR40 (I tried it without a tape first, but WMM wouldn't do anything because there wasn't a tape in the camera).

Any ideas on how to capture pass-through in Windows Movie Maker?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    The manual really cops out on this one: "When connecting to a PC equipped with a DV terminal, you may not be able to transfer converted signals to your PC, depending on the software you are using, and the specifications of your PC and its settings." I know that IEEE1394 connections can be troublesome and sometimes the devices get confused about who is sending and who is receiving. Have you tried turning the camera off before you plug in the cables, and then turning it on? If all else fails, you can record to DV tape and then capture the tape.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Have you tried turning the camera off before you plug in the cables, and then turning it on?
    Yep.

If all else fails, you can record to DV tape and then capture the tape.
    Well, I considered that, but considering the age of the Hi8 tapes and camera, I'd like to preserve what little quality there is... haha

I actually found a work around; it seems that this was a common glitch with WMM... imagine that. I had to trick it by starting a capture from a tape in the ZR40, then eject it during the capture and start the Hi8, lol. Sounds crude, but it works, I'll be editing the content anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Do you really need to capture via WMM ? have you tried WinDV ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just go for the excellent ScenalyzerLive!
    http://www.scenalyzer.com/
    It will capture DV from firewire and USB (some Panasonic).

The software is now free available for use!
    Quote Quote