VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I need to transfer some Umatic 3/4 " tapes to my Hard drive.

The Umatic and the tape works fine.

So far it goes out to an LG USB PLus DVD/HDD recorder/player.

How can I get it from there to my laptop?

I tried but nothing. I have Power Director but it did not come up on the Capture mode.

What is the best way to get it to my laptop from the Umatic please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    First I would use the DVD recorder to record the tape as a safe and easy alternative to "capturing".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Clean the tape & the deck (using proper pro procedures).

Use a Y/C to S-video adapter, and then use a capture card/box that accepts S-video in along with stereo audio. This assumes you don't need a TBC, but it is not uncommon that you WILL, so it would go in line in between the adapter and the capture device.

Cap to a losslessly compressed yuv 4:2:2 SD interlaced format in AVI or similar container.

Preprocess in AVISynth to correct the image & clean up the noise, maybe even doing a multi-cap median stack. Then resave in that same format, retaining interlacing.

Then do your editing/compositing/FX/etc. Save back to similar format, minding the cadence as you retain interlacing.

Then make distribution copies encoded to the specifics of your end media players, using as high a bitrate as you can get away with. Now you can make progressive versions (probably bobbed).

THAT is how you get the best quality from your Umatic.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks Scott. Appreciate your descriptive suggestion.

I agree with what you say too and years ago had an interface and TBC but it has gone to heaven with my own Umatics.

With my head full of 'today' electronics and procedures I actually forgot the process and thought as the deck was already wired video and stereo into the DVD/HDD box, I could just take a line out as they say, but didn't know the best way to do this.

Will now seek out the components and give it another shot!

Thanks again.

hech54 thank you however this was suggested to me before but I did not want the vision to be compressed as it would on the DVD.
    The tapes are 60min and full.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Separated luma/chroma is superior to the regular composite (BNC) output, but will only be available if you have a dub connector on the deck. Luma (Y) is compatible, but chroma (C) is the 688 KHz subcarrier right off the tape, so you need a transcoder to bump it to the 4.43 MHz required for s-video. My VO-9850 has a worn capstan bearing and horizontal stability is out of spec, but a Panasonic DMR-ES15 cleans it up perfectly.
    Quote Quote