VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got a new GTX 1050 card and have done a few tries at using NVenc to encode to HEVC. Miost things I've tried that support NVEnc have very limited options and the lowest choices still result in a *larger* output size than the source x264 or Xvid file.

So I've got Staxrip x64 1.7.0.0 stable release. Updated the NVEnc 3.2.2 that came with it to 3.2.3.

What I'm after is shrinking the file size by around 30% to 50%, without touching the audio unless it's more than just stereo. I can do that (very slowly) with VidCoder and have been happy with the results, but not so much the typically single digit frames per second processing 'speed'. Not impressed at all with the 6 core FX6100 CPU that's 0% faster at video encoding (with any codec) than the Quad core Phenom II it replaced.

I've found a lot of sites that pretty much all have the same 'best' settings for Staxrip (and an advert for Pavtube at the bottom) but even the ones claiming to produce smaller files result in output bigger than the input.

The GPU is a Gigabyte GTX 1050 D5 2G Rev 1.0 $115 on eBay, free shipping. A huge improvement for games over the 7 year old XLR8 9800 GT 1gig it replaced. The GTX is really speedy at encoding to x265, while it's inflating a 500 meg x264 up to nearly 2 gigs. I don't expect 200FPS processing speed once I have software configured to have it make videos smaller.

I've a lot of videos in Xvid and x264 and a need for saving some storage space. I also have a 4K Samsung TV that has no problem playing 8 or 10 bit x265, and it makes even lower resolution video look pretty darn nice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    are you still on winXP ?
    if not, you can try https://www.videohelp.com/software/As-Video-Converter It has good review and lots of GPU encoding features, but read info. Something is working only on Win10.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
    Got a new GTX 1050 card and have done a few tries at using NVenc to encode to HEVC. Miost things I've tried that support NVEnc have very limited options and the lowest choices still result in a *larger* output size than the source x264 or Xvid file.

So I've got Staxrip x64 1.7.0.0 stable release. Updated the NVEnc 3.2.2 that came with it to 3.2.3.

What I'm after is shrinking the file size by around 30% to 50%, without touching the audio unless it's more than just stereo. I can do that (very slowly) with VidCoder and have been happy with the results, but not so much the typically single digit frames per second processing 'speed'. Not impressed at all with the 6 core FX6100 CPU that's 0% faster at video encoding (with any codec) than the Quad core Phenom II it replaced.

I've found a lot of sites that pretty much all have the same 'best' settings for Staxrip (and an advert for Pavtube at the bottom) but even the ones claiming to produce smaller files result in output bigger than the input.

The GPU is a Gigabyte GTX 1050 D5 2G Rev 1.0 $115 on eBay, free shipping. A huge improvement for games over the 7 year old XLR8 9800 GT 1gig it replaced. The GTX is really speedy at encoding to x265, while it's inflating a 500 meg x264 up to nearly 2 gigs. I don't expect 200FPS processing speed once I have software configured to have it make videos smaller.

I've a lot of videos in Xvid and x264 and a need for saving some storage space. I also have a 4K Samsung TV that has no problem playing 8 or 10 bit x265, and it makes even lower resolution video look pretty darn nice.

NVEnc HEVC doesn't use x265. It uses NVEnc. x265 is a different HEVC encoder. NVEnc HEVC doesn't use b-frames so the compression efficiency is significantly worse right off the bat (probably ~50% worse) . So you're wasting your time - you can use a lower bitrate in -vbr bitrate encoding mode (that will control the filesize), but the quality will be significantly worse than if you used x265. You might have to adjust the --qp-max parameter to allow for higher quantizers and smaller filesizes
    Quote Quote  
  4. Code:
    file size = average bitrate * running time
    So if you want a smaller file use a lower average bitrate. If you are using quality based encoding, set the encoder to a lower quality to get a lower bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    didn't mentioned that disadvantage of coding with plenty of cores. It never will be as good as x265 single core(o.k. 2 cores too). Cuda has plenty of units to encode with, so it has same disadvantage like coding with 20 cores and more. If Iam not wrong in nvenc you only set average bitrate, max bitrate and quality. But HQ needs really high average bitrate. It is good for streaming not for video encoding.
    But everyone has subjective perception of quality.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Hi,
    are you still on winXP ?
    if not, you can try https://www.videohelp.com/software/As-Video-Converter It has good review and lots of GPU encoding features, but read info. Something is working only on Win10.

Bernix
    Tried that a couple of times just now. It's super fast, even set to quality instead of speed of balanced - but both times it's generated an unplayable mp4. MediaInfo can't come up with any information at all from them.
    I just set it to use NVENC and dialed the bitrate down a lot from 6000, set the audio to passthrough because the original's 2 channel AAC is fine. What do I need to setup to get a playable file out of it? I expect that if my computer can't play it, my fancy TV won't either. :P

I just want HEVC videos compressed to around 300 megs for an "hour" TV episode, and doing that with the NVEnc encoder. I've some done by others and to my eye they look just fine. I have HEVC movies in the 500~600 meg range that I'm satisfied with, they look better than some I've seen in h.264 at over double the file size.

Depending on the content, if there's scenes with high detail or fast motion or not, I've done HEVC with VidCoder in the range of 187 meg to 372 meg per TV episode and they all look good to me, but having to let the computer sit there and take 4 to 5 times the runtime of the video to process it is not a fun thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can try Avidemux. I personally tested it. Nvenc Hevc on my 1050ti . Just set average bitrate, max bitrate, Quality HQ, Audio copy. Desired output format (mkv, mp4, ts, ps...) what you want.
    Try set average to 500 kbps and max to 720 kbps it should result (without audio file) in about 300 MB

Bernix
    Quote Quote