VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I make videos that are typically 10 to 20 minutes long. For each of these videos, I would like to automatically generate a short preview trailer which is around 60 seconds long. The 60 second preview trailer should be randomly sampled footage from the beginning to the end of the video. Of course I can do this manually in a video editing program, but I would like a program to automatically do this, as it would save me a lot of time.

Does anyone know any good tools for this job?
    Quote Quote  
  2. AviSynth's SelectRangeEvery?

For example:

SelectRangeEvery(2000, 200)

says to select 200 frames spread every 2000 frames apart. At 25fps that means you use 8 seconds of footage every one minute 20 seconds. It also means reencoding but so does your NLE method.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    automatization of this process, you get very strange looking preview. Because of cut points can be just say (4-12) frames long (at 25fps 8-frames is 0,3125 sec). So you should look for gop start, its duration etc. But it will not help either in some special situation. Best way is to do it manually. Or if you do it for your private use and quality of preview doesnt matter that you encounter situation where you finish with cut ->6 frames from different shot, then another cut.... (weird looking video preview) so manono suggesting is best or there can be way with FFMPEG also.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    AviSynth's SelectRangeEvery?

For example:

SelectRangeEvery(2000, 200)

says to select 200 frames spread every 2000 frames apart. At 25fps that means you use 8 seconds of footage every one minute 20 seconds. It also means reencoding but so does your NLE method.
    Thanks for this suggestion. Do you know of any cross platform solution that will work on Windows and Linux?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by david151 View Post
    Do you know of any cross platform solution that will work on Windows and Linux?
    The equivalent cross platform solution (win/mac/linux) for manono's suggestion (200 frames, every 2000) would be vapoursynth

Code:
    clip = core.std.SelectEvery(clip, cycle = 2000, offsets = range(200))
    Quote Quote