VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all,

I remember burning CD's back in the old days. But I only used it for music; so I'm kind of out of the loop when it comes to movies, or even whole series.
    Now, I'm going to spend 2 weeks with my gf, but she only has a TV without a USB port attached to it. She does, however, have a blu ray player.
    I was wondering if it was possible?

If I'd buy a blu ray of 25gb, can I burn 9 episodes of 500 mb (and 47 minutes) each on it? And how will it come out? Will I be able to select each episode differently? Or is it like one big movie?

What about subtitles? If I make the subs the exact same name as the video-file, will it be subbed automatically as well?

Now, I've heard that the software "DVD Flick" is the one to use. But are there any links to a simple guide on how to put tv shows on a blu ray? I'm not that savy with technology

Sorry for these "noob" questions, hopefully someone can answer!
    Quote Quote  
  2. depends on the blu-ray player. The Blu-ray spec doesn't specify support for things like MP4 or MKV files. But some BD players include media player functionality that supports that. In those cases you can just burn the files onto a BD data disc. The player will then give you a list of files to pick from. If your BD player doesn't have media player functionality you have to author a BD disc. If the source files aren't already encoded with Blu-ray compatible settings they will have to be re-encoded.

The situation is analogous to CD players with MP3 functionality. To sell a player with the Audio CD logo on it did not require the players support MP3 files. But some manufactures added MP3 functionality which allowed you to burn as many MP3 files as you can fit on a data CD and the player would play them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Most Blu Ray players have a USB port.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NomsayinBrah View Post
    If I'd buy a blu ray of 25gb, can I burn 9 episodes of 500 mb (and 47 minutes) each on it? And how will it come out? Will I be able to select each episode differently? Or is it like one big movie?

What about subtitles? If I make the subs the exact same name as the video-file, will it be subbed automatically as well?

Now, I've heard that the software "DVD Flick" is the one to use. But are there any links to a simple guide on how to put tv shows on a blu ray? I'm not that savy with technology

Sorry for these "noob" questions, hopefully someone can answer!
    There are two ways to put TV shows on a Blu-ray disc:

1. Burn the video and subtitles as data. This method is easy and quick, but it requires the Blu-ray player to have a built-in media player, and the built-in media player must support playing the type of media file you burned and the type of audio and video it contains. If the Blu-ray player meets this requirement (many produced in the last 4 years will) then you can select individual episodes to play, one by one. The type of subtitle files supported by players varies, but it is usually necessary to give them the same name as the video file. You may need to convert the subtitle file type to one that is supported (i.e. ASS to SRT) or transfer the contents of the media file to a different type of container (i.e. MKV to MP4 or TS).

If the Blu-ray player plays media files, all you need is a Blu-ray burner, BD-R media and ImgBurn. You need to check the manual for your GF's Blu-ray player to see if you can do use this approach and to find out if subtitles play automatically. You can also find out if playback from a USB drive or USB stick would work.

2. Author a Blu-ray disc with subtitles and a menu that allows you to select individual episodes. This method is far less easy (there is a learning curve for authoring software) and more time-consuming, but a properly authored disc will play on any Blu-ray Player. You may need to convert the audio and video to meet Blu-ray's requirements, and the subtitles will almost certainly need to be converted to Blu-ray format. There is no simple guide for this that I know of for using free software. Maybe someone else knows of one.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Oct 2017 at 11:43.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Try BD_RB for BluRay
    Quote Quote