VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How is it possible that PowerDVD has lower CPU usage in 4K@60 HEVC 10bit HDR videos (around 8%) than potplayer & MPCHC with 1080p@25 AVC (around 15-20%)? But even webbrowsers proved to be much more efficient (Mozilla played 1080p @ 25 AVC mp4 with 6%, usage Chrome around 4-5%) than MPC-HC or Potplayer in the play from SSD and HDD.
    Is the difference so huge between a professional player and amateur hobby/weekend programmers who created their buggy Poitplayer and MPC-HC players?

This non.professional players were designed by weekend / hobby programmers, who didn't get job in at big companies, their players use a lot of other stuff codecs and filters from other weekend programers, and the player must combine this lot of non-professional things, which caused a lot of bugs and very bad efficiency.
    Last edited by Stears555; 16th Oct 2017 at 10:30.

2. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    How is it possible that PowerDVD has lower CPU usage in 4K@60 HEVC 10bit HDR videos (around 8%) than potplayer & MPCHC with 1080p@25 AVC (around 15-20%)? But even webbrowsers proved to be much more efficient (Mozilla played 1080p @ 25 AVC mp4 with 6%, usage Chrome around 4-5%) than MPC-HC or Potplayer in the play from SSD and HDD.
    Is the difference so huge between a professional player and amateur hobby/weekend programmers who created their buggy Poitplayer and MPC-HC players?

This non.professional players were designed by weekend / hobby programmers, who didn't get job in at big companies, their players use a lot of other stuff codecs and filters from other weekend programers, and the player must combine this lot of non-professional things, which caused a lot of bugs and very bad efficiency.
    Are you asking for problem solution or just sharing your private opinion? - this is not clear to me, anyway glad to read that 70E for PowerDVD was well spend - there is nothing more important for company than happy customer.

3. Lol, now I can‘t take Stears555 seriously anymore ...

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Lol, now I can‘t take Stears555 seriously anymore ...
    I can't take a typical "Youtube game-recorder-Joe" teenager/junior boy seriously as a self-appointed "video expert" )))
    With his silly handycapped help: With "Do you have madvr? "Did you turned on the HW acceleration" type answers.
    Last edited by Stears555; 16th Oct 2017 at 12:25.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post

Are you asking for problem solution or just sharing your private opinion? - this is not clear to me, anyway glad to read that 70E for PowerDVD was well spend - there is nothing more important for company than happy customer.
    At least, PowerDVD was written by professionals, the gui the HW acceleration codecs everything. And yeah, they are not third grade /weekend programmers who work as a system operator at a Server hosting service in the real life, because they were not enough good to get a job in a serious software developer company, and they want to make some shitty programs for "youtube "game-recorder teenagers".

But be honest, aren't they (MPC-HC and Potplayer) shitty programs if they consume more CPU for 1080p@25 AVC, than the PowerDVD for 4K@60 10 bit HEVC HDR?

Even Web-browsers(!!!) (Firefox and Chrome) are more efficient in AVC and VP9 than Potplayer and MPC-HC. Because these companies have really professional programmers.
    Last edited by Stears555; 16th Oct 2017 at 12:47.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0XxKPKpn-c
    The typical game-recorder-Joe teenager: Such caliber kids (usually Asperger “suspicious” ) want to play the "expert" in the Software Playing topics , but they usually gave only unusuable silly answers. Somehow the professional guys from the "video conversion" topic did not appear here.
    Last edited by Stears555; 16th Oct 2017 at 13:04.

7. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post

Use common sense - either A) user/configuration error, or B) non standard AVC stream (not all AVC streams are HW acceleration compatible. eg. 12bit444 wouldn't be)

Most people will get 1-5% CPU usage in MPCHC or potplayer if HW acceleration is working if you look around. So 15-20% is abnormal

8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Most people will get 1-5% CPU usage in MPCHC or potplayer if HW acceleration is working if you look around. So 15-20% is abnormal
    Task Manager even shows as low as 0% for MPC-HC with EVR and 1080p24 AVC here. madvr CPU is a lot higher with ~15% (running on old i5-2500k, though). Not sure if that's a recent thing or not.

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

Use common sense - either A) user/configuration error, or B) non standard AVC stream (not all AVC streams are HW acceleration compatible. eg. 12bit444 wouldn't be)

Ah the old good Poison, at least, you are not an ignorant "youtube game-recorder teenager".

I spoke about 8bit Canon or Panasonic camcorder HD files in the case of AVC, and yes, they are 100% HW accelerated in all Machines.

10. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    I can't take a typical "Youtube game-recorder-Joe" teenager/junior boy seriously as a self-appointed "video expert" )))
    With his silly handycapped help: With "Do you have madvr? "Did you turned on the HW acceleration" type answers.

The typical game-recorder-Joe teenager: Such caliber kids (usually Asperger “suspicious” ) want to play the "expert" in the Software Playing topics , but they usually gave only unusuable silly answers. Somehow the professional guys from the "video conversion" topic did not appear here.
    To post things like that and also to send the same shit as private mail to me, makes me laugh even more

You already pointed out with starting that thread that something is wrong on your computer, it‘s not the fault of the programmers. The programs do work fine on all my computers without consuming so much like on your computer.

My personal advice: If something doesn‘t work, then ask for help and don‘t blame developers of open source media players with a thread like this one.
    I am involved in an open source project, but only for translation, not for programming. The project I contribute to is not mentioned in this thread, so I am not taking this personal and already mentioned I‘m not a programmer.

I never said that I know everything, but with your behavior you already made me to not help you with the problem you have.

Good luck

11. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post

I speak about 8bit Canon or Panasonic camcorder HD files in the case of AVC, and yes, they are 100% HW accelerated in all Machines.
    Consider for a minute almost everyone else gets <5%, maybe it's possible you have configuration problem ? I get <5% on every computer on 1080p24. Sneaker gets 0%.

Or maybe you have other processing going on ? Maybe CPU filters upscaling etc... ? Is it 25pN ? If not, maybe CPU errantly deinterlacing PSF ? You might actually have <5% if you look at decoding only. Or maybe this is a single core CPU ?

12. Stears555 still harassing me via pm.
    @ moderators
    Help please

13. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    At least, PowerDVD was written by professionals, the gui the HW acceleration codecs everything. And yeah, they are not third grade /weekend programmers who work as a system operator at a Server hosting service in the real life, because they were not enough good to get a job in a serious software developer company, and they want to make some shitty programs for "youtube "game-recorder teenagers".

But be honest, aren't they (MPC-HC and Potplayer) shitty programs if they consume more CPU for 1080p@25 AVC, than the PowerDVD for 4K@60 10 bit HEVC HDR?

Even Web-browsers(!!!) (Firefox and Chrome) are more efficient in AVC and VP9 than Potplayer and MPC-HC. Because these companies have really professional programmers.
    From my perspective MPC-HC is great software and can't imagine using something else, can't share your observations so i assume you must have different configuration (SW? HW?) than mine.
    Last edited by pandy; 17th Oct 2017 at 03:24.

14. MPC-HC works fine for me. Using 2-3% CPU for 1080p24 with DTS audio on a crappy low-end Intel Pentium J2900 and Nvidia 210 graphics card. And it cost me a grand total of zero, nothing, nada, zip.

I suggest you check and fix your configuration before mouthing off here with your ill-informed 'youtube game-recorder' opinions. I hesitate to call you a 'youtube game-recorder teenager' because your comments make you sound like and angry 12 year old.

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you trolling or something? You're assuming open source developers are just hobby/weekend programers just because PowerDVD, a paid software, had better results in your system, but it seems to be an unique case since most of the users are 5% of cpu usage with mpc-HC or potplayer. As far as i know madVR is the best video renderer with very nice support and seems to be a hobby/weekend developed software and still better than some professional paid video players.
    Last edited by StarlessNIte; 16th Oct 2017 at 20:38.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM

To post things like that and also to send the same shit as private mail to me, makes me laugh even more

You already pointed out with starting that thread that something is wrong on your computer, it‘s not the fault of the programmers. The programs do work fine on all my computers without consuming so much like on your computer.

My personal advice: If something doesn‘t work, then ask for help and don‘t blame developers of open source media players with a thread like this one.
    I am involved in an open source project, but only for translation, not for programming. The project I contribute to is not mentioned in this thread, so I am not taking this personal and already mentioned I‘m not a programmer.

I never said that I know everything, but with your behavior you already made me to not help you with the problem you have.

Good luck
    Don't worry! I've never thought (I couldn't even imagine) that you are a programmer ))

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Stears555 still harassing me via pm.
    @ moderators
    Help please
    The subject of "harrasing" was this simple video link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0XxKPKpn-c

Who knows, maybe he was offended, because he recogized himself? ))

18. Not really, well if you are a programmer you can code yourself the best videoplayer and don‘t need as you call them „weekend programmers“ who can‘t program properly and you can even save money because you don‘t need to buy a software player. Lol

I know the basics of programming and I‘m happy that the are players available such as MPC-HC and Potplayer. Why trying to invent the wheel a second time if there is already one which is free.

You can‘t even use these players right and you think there is the need to troll around in this forum.

Now I don’t only take you seriouly anymore, I know you are a harassing Troll.
    You‘re only trolling around here trying to provoke.

19. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread closed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.