VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

GF GTX 1060 can't efficiently accelerate HEVC VP9 with software players like MPC-HC and Potplayer. In Potplayer I tried internal and external codecs like Lav filters with all options. The 4K videos droped frames and play the video on half FPS and very high CPU usage in software players, despite the video processing engine of the GPU worked in both payers.
    Despite of this, the firefox and chrome browsers play the 4K videos (60 50 30 25p) perfectly with low CPU usage without frame drop.
    How is it possible? Do the browser-based codecs have better GPU acceleration than software players?

Thank you for your reply!

CPU: Core i7-950 8GB ram. Op. system: Win 10 64bit.
    Last edited by Stears555; 14th Oct 2017 at 11:48.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need to be more exact. There is no "HEVC VP9". There is HEVC and VP9. And not all VP9 is created equal. GTX 1060 can decode VP9 8 bit but not 10 bit. What does LAV Video say about "Active Decoder" during playback? What is your OS and driver?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    You need to be more exact. There is no "HEVC VP9". There is HEVC and VP9. And not all VP9 is created equal. GTX 1060 can decode VP9 8 bit but not 10 bit. What does LAV Video say about "Active Decoder" during playback? What is your OS and driver?
    Almost everybody know, what do VP9 and HEVC codecs mean, I deal with digital videos since 1995. I use the newest Nvidia driver, but I tried earlier drivers of this year too. Nothing has changed. What is the problem with software players? So why can all browsers use the acceleration properly and efficiently?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    have you tried in Potplayer - preference - filter control - Open codec - Nvidia CUDA Decoder - Enable and in Video Decoder press ... next to HEVC: Build in Decoder same as in H.265 select here Nvidia CUDA decoder. But I think it depends also on video renderer, try default Video - Video renderer - (auto select recommended) Maybe it will helps you
    Edit - so for you next to VP9 instead of HEVC or H265
    Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 14th Oct 2017 at 12:23.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    Almost everybody know, what do VP9 and HEVC codecs mean
    Write what you mean and do. Be exact. We are not psychics. Still you haven't really told us much about your video. Maybe upload a sample?
    Quote Quote  
  6. maybe your processor is a showing signs of age.. 4k vid hevc need newer processors and gpus
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by teodz1984 View Post
    maybe your processor is a showing signs of age.. 4k vid hevc need newer processors and gpus
    Wrong. They are new and enough strong hardwares. For example: When I open the downloaded videos in browsers (it is possible to open video files directly from the computer) the video playback works like a perfect dream with minimal CPU usage.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    Almost everybody know, what do VP9 and HEVC codecs mean
    Write what you mean and do. Be exact. We are not psychics. Still you haven't really told us much about your video. Maybe upload a sample?
    This is the sample: the downloaded VP9 and H264 versions with 60 and 30p frame rates. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuaLl2pII2Q
    Quote Quote  
  9. What does LAV Video say about "Active Decoder" and "Active Hardware Accelerator" during playback? What is your renderer and display?
    Quote Quote  
  10. FYI Core i7-950 released june 2009 That's a good 8 years ago.. So it isnt new
    Last edited by teodz1984; 14th Oct 2017 at 21:34.
    Quote Quote  
  11. learm to use madvr to render.. offloads to gpu
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Core i7-950 released june 2009
    Even the CPU proved to be faster in 4K play (more FPS) than with GPU support. Weird, isn't it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    there must be some problem in your settings, because AFAIK your CPU does not support hardware acceleration Intel Quick Sync for H265. Try to utilize your 1060 CUDA cores for playback.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  14. if LAV video uses software decoder then CPU takes the brunt of the work.. You must use Nvidia CUDA Decoder to offload the work to your CPU Also make sure your Nvidia drivers are updated too

Also try change the default renderer in MPC and potplayer to MADVR.. you have to make the switch manually..
    Last edited by teodz1984; 14th Oct 2017 at 21:32.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FYI Core i7-950 released june 2009 That's a good 8 years ago.. So it isnt new
    The Core i7-950 is still among the strong processors. An unused new Core i7-950 is still around 280$ in the shops.

https://www.cnet.com/products/intel-core-i7-950-3-06ghz/prices/
    Last edited by Stears555; 16th Oct 2017 at 03:13.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if LAV video uses software decoder then CPU takes the brunt of the work.. You must use Nvidia CUDA Decoder to offload the work to your CPU Also make sure your Nvidia drivers are updated too

Also try change the default renderer in MPC and potplayer to MADVR.. you have to make the switch manually..
    IT is not about the software playback option, since I've always used dxva2 copy-back. (because Cuda option caused problems in frame-step back). The video decoder engine of the card is active. I have an 1080p monitor and a Samsung UE55MU6102 UHD TV. The problem is the lack of GPU accelerated downscale and resize in software players. However the browsers have HW accelerated resize, so they can play the 4K content fantastic results from Youtube in both vp9 and AVC. When I connected the card to the UHD TV, and played the 4K videos in full screen in Potplayer and MPC-HC, the videos were fine, when I watched them in small (windowed mode) the problem appeared again.

Last edited by Stears555; 16th Oct 2017 at 04:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    can I ask you what graphics card did you have before GTX 1060? When your videos played smoothly?
    Thank you
    Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have problem with downscale and resize, you really should use MadVR. You can set various algorithm for this there.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    If you have problem with downscale and resize, you really should use MadVR. You can set various algorithm for this there.

Bernix
    Can you see it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try to check rendering and processing tab too. And trade quality for performance too. Still don't know what graphics card did you use before, when everything was smooth.
    And try dxva checker to get more info. I have only i5-6500 and only 1050ti but everything is playing smoothly. Probably there is some other bottleneck.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  21. According to your screenshot you have a GT 1030, not GTX 1060.

I would reset madVR settings (to make sure you don't have any crazy settings on - madvr has lots of them in various menus. There's "restore default settings.bat" in madvr folder). For downscale algo Cubic should be good enough. "DXVA2" means the scaling will be left to the driver which may or may not be good.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Try to check rendering and processing tab too. And trade quality for performance too. Still don't know what graphics card did you use before, when everything was smooth.
    And try dxva checker to get more info. I have only i5-6500 and only 1050ti but everything is playing smoothly. Probably there is some other bottleneck.

Bernix
    1st

2nd:

3rd
    Quote Quote  
  23. How is GPU RAM? GT 1030 doesn't have much. See GPU-Z. See madVR OSD (ctrl+j). Try lower GPU queue size.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How is GPU RAM? GT 1030 doesn't have much. See GPU-Z. See madVR OSD (ctrl+j). Try lower GPU queue size.
    You are completly wrong. If I can play downloaded 4K@60 VP9 and AVC videos with the firefox and Chrome browsers without any problems from the SSD and Hard-disk, than the problem represented by the player. Maybe the software developers in big & rich companies are more professional than the third party cheap-boys who make these players and codecs, thus their products are more reliable.

Do you know what is "Feature Set H" aka "purevideo 8"? The HW must play even 8K videos in 8 10 12bit at 60fps.

Read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo
    Last edited by Stears555; 16th Oct 2017 at 05:01.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to your screenshot you have a GT 1030, not GTX 1060.

I would reset madVR settings (to make sure you don't have any crazy settings on - madvr has lots of them in various menus. There's "restore default settings.bat" in madvr folder). For downscale algo Cubic should be good enough. "DXVA2" means the scaling will be left to the driver which may or may not be good.
    The "restore default settings" practically can't restore anything, even after the restart of my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    Do you know what is "Feature Set H" aka "purevideo 8"? The HW must play even 8K videos in 8 10 12bit at 60fps.

I know. So what? Doesn't mean player cannot fill up RAM when queues are too large. This is just a setting people who buy cheap GPUs may have to lower. User error, not bad player.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update: Now I tried the PowerDVD and everything is fine.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post

I know. So what? Doesn't mean player cannot fill up RAM when queues are too large. This is just a setting people who buy cheap GPUs may have to lower. User error, not bad player.
    GTX 1060 is more expensive than GTX 1050

GTX 1050 is the lowest priced card which have HW encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  29. In your screenshot in post #16 it shows "Active Hardware Accelerator: NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030".
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In your screenshot in post #16 it shows "Active Hardware Accelerator: NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030".
    You don't know the issue. PowerDVD can play 60 fps UHD material browsers also can play them with minimal HW usage. Potplayer VLC and MPC-HC can't do it. There are professionals in the video conversation topic, but somehow they tend to avoid software playing topic. In this thread I also get stupid answers from not-really serious teenager and junior age "gamer boys", who had no clue about digital videos. Who don't even own a real camcorder in their life just mobile phone cameras. (Maybe they have never held a camcorder in their hand)
    Last edited by Stears555; 16th Oct 2017 at 07:06.
    Quote Quote