VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I followed DarkDreams encoding tutorial (need to sign in):
    http://blackstaranime.forum.com.bz/t302-how-to-rip-a-dvd-to-your-hard-drive-for-encodi...ackup-purposes
    http://blackstaranime.forum.com.bz/t310-how-to-use-avisynth

I ripped DVD with DVDDecrypter in IFO Mode, File Splitting = None, Chapter Information OGG

Then in MeGUI after all cropping and so on.
    I was doing a test to see how long it takes to encode in MeGUI with these filters in the script (note: my video might not need all these):

HALO REMOVAL = HQDering(smoother=deen("a3d",1,9,2,2)
    DENOISER = Deen("c3d",0,3,2)
    ANTIALIASER = Maa()
    CHROMA SHARPEN = MergeChroma(awarpsharp2(depth=4))
    LINE THINNER = aWarpSharp(depth=3.5, blurlevel=1)
    CHROMA SHIFTING = ChromaShiftSP(X=0.00, Y=0.00) # [X = Left/Right +/- Y = Up/Down +/-]
    BRIGHTNESS, CONTRAST, SATURATION ADJUSTMENTS = Tweak(bright=0.00, cont=1.00, sat=1.00)
    SHARPENER = LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.0, ss_y=1.0, strength=5, overshoot=0, undershoot=0, soft=0, edgemode=0)

The encoding setting was DarkDreams profile, you can download MeGUI with his settings and plugins:
    http://blackstaranime.forum.com.bz/t321-encoding-software-you-will-need-for-my-tutorials

Anyway, its taking 1 hour to encode 5% of a 2h 8min movie.
    5 frames per seconds.
    My question, is this normal, i thought it would take max 5h for the whole movie and not 20h?

/Using a old laptop with i5 3210M + GeForce GT 640M

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Those filters aren't very slow so your problem is probably the encoder settings.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Even if the encoder settings are different and all, how much can I expect to get from my current 5 FPS ?
    I mean, are people having around 30 FPS or is it max x FPS no matter what or so?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you're using the x264 encoder -- there is a 100 fold difference in encoding speed between the ultrafast and placebo presets.

On my i5 2500K I get over 15 fps with a similar script, single threaded AviSynth, and x264 at the slow preset. With multithreaded AviSynth I get about 35 fps.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Oct 2017 at 18:34.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I had this in the script which cause the encode to be slow:
    QTGMC(preset="slow", matchpreset="slow", matchpreset2="slow", sourcematch=3)
    I removed Yadif and replaced it with the code.

Without it I get 11 FPS.

Thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by traxstar View Post
    I had this in the script which cause the encode to be slow:
    QTGMC(preset="slow", matchpreset="slow", matchpreset2="slow", sourcematch=3)
    And you don't think you should have mentioned that in your first post where you claimed to have listed all the filters used?

If you were to make available a small piece of your video, you'll probably get better suggestions on what to use, ones meant to fit your video and not just some generic ones you found online somewhere.
    Quote Quote