VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm not sure if I'm using the right word when I say "demux".
    Basically, I want to extract the audio & video out of normal video files.
    I don't want these components to be re-encoded.
    They should be "passthrough", "untouched", "lossless", etc.

I know there's a "Video De/Multiplexers" section here at VideoHelp.
    But many of these programs seem to be limited to a specific video format.
    Is there any program that can "demux" various file formats? (MKV, Mp4, AVI, TS, etc.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jaibubwan View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm using the right word when I say "demux".
    Basically, I want to extract the audio & video out of normal video files.
    I don't want these components to be re-encoded.
    They should be "passthrough", "untouched", "lossless", etc.

I know there's a "Video De/Multiplexers" section here at VideoHelp.
    But many of these programs seem to be limited to a specific video format.
    Is there any program that can "demux" various file formats? (MKV, Mp4, AVI, TS, etc.)
    Bro use gmkvextractgui mkvcleaver pazera audio extractor

Sent from my P4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  3. ffmpeg

Demux audio: -vn -acodec copy
    Demux video: -vcodec copy -an
    Last edited by videobruger; 11th Oct 2017 at 07:22. Reason: Addendum
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    ffmpeg

Demux audio: -vn -acodec copy
    Demux video: -vcodec copy -an
    Does anyone know how to create a "BAT" file for these commands?
    Specifically, I'd love a BAT file that - when executed - could batch process all files in the same folder.
    Preferably, it should be portable & name the extracted audio/video automatically.

EDIT: I looked this up, and every batch script out there seems require you output to a fixed format. Wondering why there isn't a script that simply extracts the audio or video to its natural format.
    Last edited by jaibubwan; 11th Oct 2017 at 07:50.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by imsrk48 View Post
    Unfortunately, this didn't work with alot of my MP4's & TS files.
    It worked on MKV's though.
    Last edited by jaibubwan; 11th Oct 2017 at 08:07.
    Quote Quote  
  6. for mp4

Code:
    mp4box -raw * INPUT.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Unfortunately, this program did not recognize the audio in the MP4's & MKV's I inputed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rather than trying for one program that does it all, use the mkvmerge family of programs for MKV files. AVI demux for AVI. TSMuxer for TS files. Another work around would be to wrap all of the various file formats in MKV using MKVMerge GUI then use gMKVExtract to extract any streams you want... I have a folder on my computer called Video Tools that contains shortcuts to all the video processing programs I have. The majority are public domain or shareware and a few purchased. Quick and easy to deal with whatever format. For my Media Player (Popcorn A-500) MKV is the best solution so I put all my rips into a MKV container.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jaibubwan View Post
    Does anyone know how to create a "BAT" file for these commands?
    Specifically, I'd love a BAT file that - when executed - could batch process all files in the same folder.
    Preferably, it should be portable & name the extracted audio/video automatically.

EDIT: I looked this up, and every batch script out there seems require you output to a fixed format. Wondering why there isn't a script that simply extracts the audio or video to its natural format.
    BAT or CMD can be created in plain Notepad - this is just plain text so nothing special is required. https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001666.htm
    You should check few threads on this forum - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/385022-Demux-all-audio-streams-with-ffmpeg - this one can be also useful https://evilshit.wordpress.com/2012/09/27/how-to-split-and-demux-a-file-with-ffmpeg/ .
    Natural format can loose some information about stream as such it is wise to use some container - mkv is quite flexible.
    And in Unix machines shell is quite powerful so it is possible to create script with analysis and automatic selection - on plain Windows this may be a difficult.
    Last edited by pandy; 18th Oct 2017 at 05:07.
    Quote Quote  
  10. ...
    Last edited by pandy; 18th Oct 2017 at 05:07. Reason: please delete
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jaibubwan View Post
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Unfortunately, this program did not recognize the audio in the MP4's & MKV's I inputed.
    I've only tried it with .mp4 .mkv and .MTS video files with .AAC .DTS and .AC3 audio respectively.... they all work fine.

I'm guessing you're trying to de-mux files with some other audio format?..
    Quote Quote