VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,

To cut a long story short, I was recently in a car crash and assault. I have been sent a video of the incident however I've been unable to view it on my Mac, I have tired several different players etc but I've only had luck viewing it on a PC using and this was via a friend who is unable to record the footage and send it over to me. (I only have his shaky and poor phone footage of it)

Is anyone able to view the footage and record it so I'm able to view it or if possible convert it to a format that I would be able to view on my Mac?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, P.S mods if this is in the wrong section I apologise, please move or delete as you see appropriate.

Many Thanks,

L
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you try VLC for your Mac ? It can play almost anything

A problem with "converting" it is if it's not done correctly, you will lose details, create artifacts - not something you want in an accident video
    Quote Quote  
  3. I used VLC daily and it keeps erroring when I try to play it
    Quote Quote  
  4. What does the error say ?

Perhaps the video is corrupt ? Maybe an issue with "sending" it over to you
    Quote Quote  
  5. It was the same file my friend viewed a few days ago, so I don't think there's any issues with it.

Just comes up like below

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 18.04.31.png
Views:	109
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	43333
    Quote Quote  
  6. The duration is "zero" - so it's probably corrupted

What is the filesize ?

How did your friend "send" it to you ? Maybe try resend the original file.

When something like that shows up in VLC, even if you try converting it, it will probably be corrupted too . But you can try something like handbrake (it probably won't work if VLC can't view it)
    Quote Quote  
  7. It's the same file I sent to him the other day and it worked fine for him. It's copied straight from the CD they sent me.

It's an ASF file, I've had issues playing on a PC using VLC too.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Loobie View Post
    It's the same file I sent to him the other day and it worked fine for him. It's copied straight from the CD they sent me.

What is the size of the file, and what does mediainfo say about it. Put it in view>text mode and post the output here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. No modern phone records in ASF . So I think your friend might be converting it or has some tech issues. Converting it is "bad" for the earlier reasons - quality loss etc...

Ideally you would want the original recording from the phone, unaltered

Or did I read this wrong? Is the ASF file from soemthing else, and the footage is not from a phone ? What is this "CD" and where did it come from ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Originally Posted by Loobie View Post
    It's the same file I sent to him the other day and it worked fine for him. It's copied straight from the CD they sent me.

What is the size of the file, and what does mediainfo say about it. Put it in view>text mode and post the output here.

General
    Count : 325
    Count of stream of this kind : 1
    Kind of stream : General
    Kind of stream : General
    Stream identifier : 0
    Inform : 5.78 MiB
    Complete name : /Users/xxxxx/Desktop/INC 10 11th c02872 ST Forecourt 2 vehicle RTC and assault.asf
    Folder name : /Users/xxxx/Desktop
    File name : INC 10 11th c02872 ST Forecourt 2 vehicle RTC and assault
    File extension : asf
    File size : 6056908
    File size : 5.78 MiB
    File size : 6 MiB
    File size : 5.8 MiB
    File size : 5.78 MiB
    File size : 5.776 MiB
    Stream size : 6056908
    Stream size : 5.78 MiB (100%)
    Stream size : 6 MiB
    Stream size : 5.8 MiB
    Stream size : 5.78 MiB
    Stream size : 5.776 MiB
    Stream size : 5.78 MiB (100%)
    Proportion of this stream : 1.00000
    File last modification date : UTC 2017-02-11 12:10:12
    File last modification date (local) : 2017-02-11 12:10:12

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    No modern phone records in ASF . So I think your friend might be converting it or has some tech issues. Converting it is "bad" for the earlier reasons - quality loss etc...

Ideally you would want the original recording from the phone, unaltered

Or did I read this wrong? Is the ASF file from soemthing else, and the footage is not from a phone ? What is this "CD" and where did it come from ?
    The file I'm talking about is the original file, sent to me from the owners of the CCTV camera, the phone footage wasn't good enough to use. I'm unable to view the original footage on my Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm happy to upload the file, if anyone can try to play it or make a copy I can view that would really help.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Go ahead and upload it

But CCTV cameras and security systems sometimes have encryption and you need to use their provided proprietary software to view the file . Or were you able to view the file on your friend's computer with "normal" software ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. INC 10 11th c02872 ST Forecourt 2 vehicle RTC and assault.asf

They provided VisioWave Player, they were able to view it using this. Agreed that it might be encoded.

The issue is that I' unable to view it on a Mac, at this current time I'm unable to access any other device to view this on.
    Quote Quote  
  14. This is encrypted. You need their software to view it. Does their software not work on a mac ?

If their software does not have export options, then the only way to "convert" it is to screencapture
    Quote Quote  
  15. There software doesn't work on Mac, I asked my friend to screencapture it but they do not have a clue about this and it became somewhat difficult to explain it to them...

My issue is that the insurance company need this info ASAP to portion blame, and I want it resolved ASAP so I can sort my car issues out.

Is there a way to unencrypt it so it can be viewed on any format?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Loobie View Post

Is there a way to unencrypt it so it can be viewed on any format?
    Not very easily.

The fastest, "best" solution is to screencapture the output from their proprietary software, assuming it doesn't have an export option (often security software will have export options, but sometimes they are low quality "proxy" formats)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yeah, it didn't have this option (although it was rather hard to tell over FaceTime)

Thanks for your help, guess I'll have to try something else.
    Quote Quote