VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

like title says, my canon hv30 will record for maybe 5 minutes or so and then it just shuts down/turns off. Battery has charge and if i remove it and re-insert, the cam will turn back on. when i start recording again, it does so for a few minutes, then shuts off again. same happens with a different battery.

i don't see that it would have any bearing, but i have no more blank tapes, so was trying to lay black over a couple of them for a second pass. doesn't matter what previously recorded tape i try, same problem.

as far as playing those previously recorded tapes back through the cam, no issue

i've had cam a few years now, likely used it somewhat less than most folks would, and it's in great condition, otherwise
    anyone have an idea?

thanks

phil
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    does the camera have an AC adapter ?? try running it with an ac power adapter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try not recording black. see if it will record over a previous tape without a problem. HDV doesn't have to be recorded over a "blacked tape" to work fine.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    thnx for the responses, sorry it took awhile to get back, live in northern Cal , dealing with the fires.
    yes, had tried recording normally (not black), as well, same issue.
    will def try with it plugged into AC
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    so, hmm, interesting, if it's plugged into AC, it continues to record to end of tape.
    but battery display shows batts have lots of juice...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    could be dirty/oxidized contacts on batteries or camera contacts. or just bad batteries, they don't last more than a few years before deteriorating.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. That's a sure sign that your battery no longer holds it's charge. Time for a new one.
    Quote Quote