VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I have a DVD of a concert that I want to encode for use on my lounge telly. The media player is HDMI'd to the TV and RCA'd to my old-fashioned amplifier. I don't want to encode the audio, I'd prefer to keep the original. Being an old stereo amp, I'm better off with the PCM audio, yes?

My problem is best seen in the attachment. How do I extract the PCM so that I can get MeGUI to convert the video and use the PCM audio?

My thanks for any assistance offered.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zz PCM.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	43290  

Quote Quote  
  2. Can't you get it when making the D2V using DGIndex? If you don't get it, then there is none.

Assuming you get the PCM WAV file, if there isn't a way to pass through audio in MeGUI (don't know as I don't use it) then encode just the video and mux in the PCM afterwards.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, manono. Well, I analysed the VOBs with DGIndex and also used AudioMuxer. Both indicate that the audio is AC-3 only. Which leaves me confused - why does the DVD begin with a menu for sound selection if there's just one track? And why is the final shot in the atachment above showing PCM and AC-3?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    what is your reason to have PCM? TV supports it? If you can play both format I suggest you to keep it untouched (obvious). You can't get better sound in PCM than in already compressed AC-3. And lots of space for recompressing to losseless PCM. But if you have to recompress, then for stereo is it cca 1,5 Mb/s for stereo (44,1 KHz). If Iam not again wrong. (as always)
    EDIT: Or you can drag VOB files to Mkvtoolnix to check if there is PCM audio track. You can also merge them there.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 5th Oct 2017 at 17:09.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by pooksahib View Post
    ...why does the DVD begin with a menu for sound selection if there's just one track? And why is the final shot in the atachment above showing PCM and AC-3?
    The menu, because the DVD makers are idiots. The picture, because the DVD makers 'turned on' a PCM audio track, but just forgot to include it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The only reason, Bernix, was to have the best quality audio - it's avery good concert. But there's definitely only AC-3 on the disc. Thanks to you both.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are plenty of authoring/re-authoring apps for DVD that can mux in an LPCM track instead of its "original" ac3 track, it's just a matter of finding a good sync source.

Scott
    Quote Quote