VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are some videos that I extracted from a 16:9 mkv file that were originally 4:3.

So I loaded the files in Vidcoder, and changed the Sizing, from 1280 x 720 to 950 x 720. The latter is about 1.32 ratio.

But there seems to be something wrong, because Vidcoder computes as more than two days how long it will take to process the file.

What may be happening? Is there a simpler way to change the aspect ratio?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Remux with MkvToolNix and flag the video as 4:3 display aspect ratio. That will only take a minute. You can even use it's Header Editor to change the display width/height of the original file. If your players don't respond to the flags you'll have to reencode.
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Oct 2017 at 15:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe a bad choice of words.

Do these 16:9 vids have black-borders with the 4:3 video inside ? If so a change in sizing will not remove those borders but rather squash the file.

With this scenario you need to crop away those borders and re-encode what is left.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Remuxin with Toolnix was perfect. Thanks!

The case here was a 4:3 image stretched to 16:9. In fact I will be using the black borders on the sides to edit with other real 16:9 full screen video.

I thought of cropping the 4/3 video up and down, but that would mean zooming in, which may not be good.
    Quote Quote