VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Thread

Threaded View

  1. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I have an old Mac Pro 1,1 running lion (Soon to be El Capitan through the magic of mods)

    I have the LG WH16NS40 Blu-ray burner installed and it works flawlessly, but I have yet to be able to burn a DL 50-GB disc. They all become expensive coasters as I get a sector error during verification in Toast. I have also had issues burning .iso files using the disk utility, so it is not just a toast issue.

    This drive supposedly can burn DL blu-rays. It burners regular Blu-rays flawlessly. same with DVDs and CDs. I use Verbatim discs.

    I have tried changing the burn speed and they still don't verify properly. I am using Toast 11. the last version of it before they slowed it down (11.04?)

    Any idea if this is OS related? Software related? Drive firmware related? I have a lot of stuff on my drive, so maybe that is affecting it (Part of why I want to put it on DL Blu-rays).

    This happens whether I try to make data discs (Whether they are mac discs or mac/PC discs) or Blu-ray movies

    The drive works great otherwise.

    Any idea what the problem is and how I can fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    1st - try checking for a firmware update for your burner. 2nd - try burning your discs using imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Explorer Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer big external hard disks over optical data discs for storage. Even HD movies, although I can understand the optical discs there. I have avoided BD-R DL so far, as they’re more than twice the price of single layer discs. Firmware 1.01-A0 (Dec. 2013) improved DVD-R readability; firmware 1.02-A0 (May 2014) added M-DISC BD-R support. Neither deals with your issue. Besides, your be needing a Windows XP/Vista/7/8 machine to update the firmware (.exe). Did you test the discs that failed verification? What if they’re practically okay? A true sector error should give a failed copy back or a failed checksum for a file. Testable stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I saw that there were firmware updates, but as Case posted, they don't deal with my problems.

    I can't use imgburn as I am not on a PC. Is there a Mac equivalent that is equally stable?

    I'd like for those discs to be totally OK, but how do I go about checking them and what do I need to look for? They were pretty full discs, yet the burn looks like a record album, with what seems to be a full burn and then a second, smaller ring on top of that. Maybe that is how they look when they are burned I dunno. These are mostly MP4 files of which I have many and just wanted off the hard drive.

    Could it also be a Toast or Lion issue?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Explorer Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jabbo5150 View Post
    I'd like for those discs to be totally OK, but how do I go about checking them and what do I need to look for? They were pretty full discs, yet the burn looks like a record album, with what seems to be a full burn and then a second, smaller ring on top of that. Maybe that is how they look when they are burned I dunno. These are mostly MP4 files of which I have many and just wanted off the hard drive.
    You won’t visually be able to see any error if the burn completed.
    If you burn from an existing folder structure, then you could test file integrity with SFV (Simple File Verification): Create an SFV file (per folder) with CRC32 checksums for selected files. Include it on the disc, so it stays with the matching files. Check the SFV file to see if the copied files match the originals. If it says only file Abcdefg.mp4 has an error, then you know the rest is good.

    Originally Posted by jabbo5150 View Post
    Could it also be a Toast or Lion issue?
    Toast 11 is designed with BD (25) and BD-DL (50) media capacity in mind, and was originally listed as running on Mac OS 10.5 or 10.6, later even 10.5–10.9, and some have it even running on 10.12. Writing reliably is between the connection, the drive and the disc, as monitored by the drive and the burning software. I don’t see how 10.7 Lion could play a direct role in this. Some have suggested burning at half the rated speed of the disc for maximum readability.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Originally Posted by jabbo5150 View Post
    I'd like for those discs to be totally OK, but how do I go about checking them and what do I need to look for? They were pretty full discs, yet the burn looks like a record album, with what seems to be a full burn and then a second, smaller ring on top of that. Maybe that is how they look when they are burned I dunno. These are mostly MP4 files of which I have many and just wanted off the hard drive.
    You won’t visually be able to see any error if the burn completed.
    If you burn from an existing folder structure, then you could test file integrity with SFV (Simple File Verification): Create an SFV file (per folder) with CRC32 checksums for selected files. Include it on the disc, so it stays with the matching files. Check the SFV file to see if the copied files match the originals. If it says only file Abcdefg.mp4 has an error, then you know the rest is good.

    Originally Posted by jabbo5150 View Post
    Could it also be a Toast or Lion issue?
    Toast 11 is designed with BD (25) and BD-DL (50) media capacity in mind, and was originally listed as running on Mac OS 10.5 or 10.6, later even 10.5–10.9, and some have it even running on 10.12. Writing reliably is between the connection, the drive and the disc, as monitored by the drive and the burning software. I don’t see how 10.7 Lion could play a direct role in this. Some have suggested burning at half the rated speed of the disc for maximum readability.
    I just had a folder with the files in it and dumped it into Toast as a Mac data disc. I had it set for BD-DL. I have tried changing the Burn speed and even tried using Toast 10 too. Toast 11 burns single layer BD's fine in Lion on my machine, as well as CDs and DVDs, including Dual Layer.

    I have zero idea how to create an SFV File or CRC32 checksums and even if I do that, it should be able to burn 100% correct, not 99% or whatever. What would I even use to create those checksums?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    try using dvdfab for mac it has it's own burn engine and can burn bluray disc's
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    try using dvdfab for mac it has it's own burn engine and can burn bluray disc's
    Seems like a good program/ripper but in this case I want to burn a Blu-ray data disc. Can it do that too?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jabbo5150 View Post
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    try using dvdfab for mac it has it's own burn engine and can burn bluray disc's
    Seems like a good program/ripper but in this case I want to burn a Blu-ray data disc. Can it do that too?
    yes, dvdfab can copy/burn data discs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member crjackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Search Comp PM
    @jabbo5150

    Did you ever get this issue resolved?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    @jabbo5150

    Did you ever get this issue resolved?
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes, in a roundabout way. It turns out the LG internal burner doesn't seem to support Verbatim BD-DL discs, though it burns everything else I put in it flawlessly. It apparently does support Panasonic BD-DL media, but that is expensive. I picked up a Pioneer BDR-XD05S that I use for DL stuff, plus it has the added bonus of working on my Macbook Pro and it works great using the Verbatim discs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jabbo5150 View Post
    Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    @jabbo5150

    Did you ever get this issue resolved?
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes, in a roundabout way. It turns out the LG internal burner doesn't seem to support Verbatim BD-DL discs, though it burns everything else I put in it flawlessly. It apparently does support Panasonic BD-DL media, but that is expensive. I picked up a Pioneer BDR-XD05S that I use for DL stuff, plus it has the added bonus of working on my Macbook Pro and it works great using the Verbatim discs.
    I am glad you found a fix, however we need to correct some info. I have the same Blu burner drive (two of them actually LG WH16NS40) though I am on a PC (win 7 64 ultimate) and they both burn Verbatim Dual layer 50 gig without a problem (using imgburn). The firmware for these is at 1.02-A0. The Verbatim dual layers I use are the HTL hardcoat 50 gig. They do sell a cheaper LTH 50 gig dual layer value line that cost much less. I am not sure which type you have. I was also thinking that it could be possible your drive is defective in some way and that may be a reason for not being able to burn the larger capactiy discs.
    want to see some true 3d clips, custom figures, some hardcore music and other crap?? Check out my youtube page www.youtube.com/mazinz2
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member crjackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the update. Good information.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads