VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Signal is weak. Had a 4 out Motorola that went bad after a few years. Am willing to go with 2 out this time. Main concern is it doesn't stop working after a few years and doesn't interfere with internet modem or PPV purchasing.

Not sure if 1GHz or 2GHz+ is a problem or a problem for futureproofing.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    switch to dish/direct tv satellite.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GSP_87 View Post
    Signal is weak. Had a 4 out Motorola that went bad after a few years. Am willing to go with 2 out this time. Main concern is it doesn't stop working after a few years and doesn't interfere with internet modem or PPV purchasing.

Not sure if 1GHz or 2GHz+ is a problem or a problem for futureproofing.
    Have you thought about calling your cableco to have the outside cabling checked and to see if the signal could be boosted some?

Funny thing happened last year. My mother lost cable and Internet service due to deterioration of the service line from the pole to her house, which had not been touched for many years. I called the cableco and arranged for a service call. In addition to replacing the line outside, the service technician was able to boost the signal enough to replace the powered 4-way splitter with a passive one.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, it's the cable companies responsibility to provide adequate signal level.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The technician refused to go up to check the tangled connections atop the pole or the connection to the top of the house, and really did not seem like he had any intention to actually help solve the problem. When nothing on my end is changed and at some identifiable date the signals for certain channels go bad during the day, but are crystal clear late at night, something's screwy and it doesn't seem like on my end. He did say something about using a signal booster. My first one went bad and fails to pass any cable or antenna signal through while powered. Internet also became extremely unreliable and flatlines a lot.

Really becoming close to joining the millions of cord cutters.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Other CATV amplifiers are not going to be significantly better/longer lasting than Arris/Motorola. https://www.amazon.com/Formerly-Motorola-Bi-Directional-Satellite-Amplifier/dp/B01JF12FCU/

..but if your outdoor service line is deteriorating, your signal problems are destined to become worse no matter what you do inside. A better solution would be to try a service call again, then escalate by complaining to someone at a higher level if your problems are not resolved, and follow through with canceling service if nothing is done to fix your porblems. DirecTV or Dish would be happy to have you as a customer if there are no alternative cablecos and OTA reception is poor.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Sep 2017 at 12:56.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Active return cable signal booster immediately solved problems of channel not coming through strong enough to make any sense of and nonexistent internet. I'm going to buy some 75 Ohm terminators for unused ports and outlets.
    Quote Quote