VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having multiple issues that must be related. Trying to get the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle to work.

I have an Asus motherboard P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 USB 3.0. Windows 7/64.

Shuttle instructions say to update the NEC/Renesas usb 3.0 host controller " if your computer has the NEC chip then this utility will already be installed etc". It was not on my computer. After installation I get an error message "USB 3.0 Host Controller not found".

I tried to install the 3.0 driver from my motherboard dvd rom, and could not select Asmedia 3.0 from the disc.

I've read as much as I can on this issue and still can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    since your board doesn't have a NEC/renesas usb chip you shouldn't have tried to install the update driver. i'd try going to computer/properties/device manager and uninstall all "universal serial bus controllers", then reboot and allow windows to re-install the proper drivers.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do I uninstall the USB 3.0 Host Controller Utility also?

I tried in unstalling the bus controllers, and it's a matter of time before I get to the mouse usb and it locks up. I got about five deleted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    uninstall the controllers, not the usb devices
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Duh, sorry about that. Ok, I uninstalled the controllers, no change. It seems the Shuttle is picky on which chip set is used. Since the instructions say to make sure the Renesas is installed, does that mean my motherboard 3.0 chip set won't work with the Shuttle?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    did you try the windows 7 compatibility mode option ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd go directly to blackmagic support. all i remember is that when it first came out it worked with just about nothing. by now you'd think they'd have it working ok.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    did you try the windows 7 compatibility mode option ??
    The mode was set to XP, so I changed it to Windows 7. Still can only capture audio, no video. And when using any HD setting, no audio..

I bought this thing back in '12, couldn't get it to work then. But now I really want to transfer some laserdiscs to be used along with BD footage so I'd like to capture more than dv avi.

Seems I have a little better luck trying to capture with Vegas vs. Black magic Media Express. Although in Vegas I have DV, or HDV/SDI options. I get about 3 seconds of preview video using HDV/SDI. It's hit and miss using Media Express so far.

I do want to add that the capture program within Vegas (Sony Video Capture) says the OS is XP, yet Vegas itself lists my OP as Win 7/64. There doesn't seem to be a way to update SVC (it comes attached with Vegas). But even Media Express isn't working which has nothing to do with Vegas.
    Last edited by clashradio; 23rd Sep 2017 at 14:15.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    do your usb 3.0 ports still work with other devices ?? you might go into the bios settings and try
    resetting the bios to factory default settings - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/usb-3-host-contro...47b5677?auth=1
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    do your usb 3.0 ports still work with other devices ?? you might go into the bios settings and try
    resetting the bios to factory default settings - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/usb-3-host-contro...47b5677?auth=1
    The Blackmagic is my only 3.0 device I have. I'll try going in the BIOS mode. That area is a little tricky for me. I'll report back later lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    I tried to install the 3.0 driver from my motherboard dvd rom
    I don't know how old that dvd-rom is, but did you try the latest driver from your mobo's support site?
    A quick peek says "Asmedia USB3.0 Controller Driver V1.14.1.0".
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    I just checked my driver; it does have V1.14.1.0, but it says the date is May 2012. There hasn't been an update in five years?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just checked my driver; it does have V1.14.1.0, but it says the date is May 2012. There hasn't been an update in five years?
    did you try the bios setting reset yet ??
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=october262;2496959][QUOTE=clashradio;2496945][QUOTE=Ennio;2496925]
    Did you try the bios setting reset yet ??
    Ok, I was hesitant, but in the bios Advanced mode, in the Advanced tab I see:

Legacy USB Support : enabled
    Legacy USB3.0 Support: enabled
    EHCI Hand-off: disabled

Mass Storage Devices"
    Generic-usb3.0 crw-cf/md1.00: auto
    Generic-usb3.0 crw-sm/xd1.00: auto
    Generic-usb3.0crw-ms 1.00: auto
    Generic-usb3.0 crw-sd/ms1.00: auto

I don't see anywhere to reset the driver?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=clashradio;2496965][QUOTE=october262;2496959][QUOTE=clashradio;2496945]
    Did you try the bios setting reset yet ??
    Ok, I was hesitant, but in the bios Advanced mode, in the Advanced tab I see:

Legacy USB Support : enabled
    Legacy USB3.0 Support: enabled
    EHCI Hand-off: disabled

Mass Storage Devices"
    Generic-usb3.0 crw-cf/md1.00: auto
    Generic-usb3.0 crw-sm/xd1.00: auto
    Generic-usb3.0crw-ms 1.00: auto
    Generic-usb3.0 crw-sd/ms1.00: auto

I don't see anywhere to reset the driver?
    look for a reset default settings option - select yes and restart your computer.
    you can also remove the little button cell battery that is on the motherboard ( turn computer off before removing)
    wait a few minutes, reinstall battery, then turn on computer and that should reset the bios to factory default settings.
    Last edited by october262; 24th Sep 2017 at 14:25.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found the "asmedia usb 3.0 controller option (missed it the first time). I only have two options; enable and disable.

Other options to the right of that screen are:
    -change opt
    -gen help
    -previous values
    -optimize defaults

I'll try that battery trick. I did switch the PCI Express from "auto" to X4. X4 says it was a more powerful option.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, removed/reinstalled battery. Blackmagic still doesn't work. I didn't see a "default" option other than the options listed in the post above. But when I turned on the computer after battery re-install it prompted me to go in the bios mode. I did select "save changes and restart".
    Quote Quote  
  18. The blackmagic is extremely picky hardware, you have an Asus motherboard, and you don't know what you are doing. That is an very bad combination.

BIOS default settings almost certainly not needed, likely a waste of time, and may actually have caused a problem. IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH BIOS SETTING CHANGES, DO *NOT* REPEAT *NOT* MESS WITH THEM.

Installing NEC chipset drivers will ONLY work if you have an NEC or NEC-compatible chipset. THIS IS THE FIRST FREAKING THING YOU SHOULD HAVE VERIFIED.

Since you do not appear to have an NEC or NEC-Compatible chipset, you have wasted a lot of time, effort, and energy getting absolutely nothing done, and actually making your system less functional.

First, in order to undo the screwup, go to asus site and download the latest drivers for your existing chipset. Take the disk that came with the mobo and use it for a coaster, it is otherwise useless. FYI, I NEVER recommend Asus to ANYONE. Unstable tweaker crap, IMO.

Next, check the blackmagic site and look for compatible hardware, which means parts that will actually work with it. Likely need an add-on USB card.

Or, you could just go out and buy four or five USB cards at random, hope you luck out and get the correct drivers installed, and see if any of those work.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I called tech support for both Blackmagic and Asus. Downloaded the newest bios, chipset, drivers. Shuttle now works. You are correct Nelson37, I don't know what I'm doing. I'm a decent video editor, but fairly green on programming issues. I do feel like a dumbass but I guess that's why forums like these are around. Thanks everyone for your help.
    Quote Quote