VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've either never known or I've forgotten why, and it's bugging me....

In the screenshot below I have an episodic DVD with a single title. Each episode is a chapter, so in re-author mode I drag the title to the left pane multiple times and edit each instance down to a chapter/episode. As they're all from the same title on the DVD, each edited title has the same audio stream and nothing else. None of them are being compressed as I have the target output size set to 50,000MB.

My question is.... why are some of the sizes in the left pane displayed using black text while others are blue? I spent a fair bit of time with Google and couldn't find out so now I really have to know....

Cheers.

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I don't think color of text has any difference...
    Just an old program lol
    Quote Quote  
  3. As an experiment I re-authored the same DVD again in the same way and the same two titles were black while the rest were blue, so it's consistent even if it doesn't mean anything.

I might have worked it out. I haven't used DVD Shrink to "shrink" for years, but it seems when the video is being compressed the file size is displayed in blue. I can get the sizes displayed in black to turn blue by setting compression to 99.9%, or by disabling the audio stream, so my current guess is there must be some internal maths determining the colour based on compression but it's not accurate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    See, we learn something every day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ hello_hello

I don't know if you're ripping the episodes only in dvd format for storage on harddrive. If so, you also could set Video to "no compression".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ennio,
    I tried changing the compression setting to "no compression" but it made no difference to the colour of the text displaying the title size.

Thanks for the info, but I've effectively disabled compression by setting the target output size to 50,000MB in preferences. I generally re-encode after ripping but I still wouldn't want DVD Shrink to do any shrinking, and doing it that way I don't have to reply on remembering to change the compression setting, which I'd sometimes forget to do.
    Quote Quote