VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello there. I've been authoring DVDs for 10 years (sometimes I film concerts I attend, either when it's allowed in the venue or I'm able to keep it hush hush) and I have a good knowledge of the format.

I bought a blu ray recorder and I'm trying to learn to deal with the new format, but it's a long way to the top.

I'm trying to start with my first project and definitely need some help/advice.

I have this file, filmed and edited by a friend: it's a MPG2, 15.000 kbps average bitrate, 1920x1080. Audio is MPG2, 384 kb/s 48000Hz

I need to turn it into a working blu ray, just adding chapter points (I already have them written down, but not sure if it's possible to import them from a txt file like I used to do with DVD-lab PRO 2) and maybe a simple menu.

If possible, I'd like something that creates blu ray folders on my hd that I can later burn to disc with nero, imgburn or whatever software supports this.

Where do I start from? I have multiAVCHD and tried to follow a tutorial, but I got lost and I'm still full of doubts. Is it the right software for what I need to do or you would suggest trying something else?

Thanks a lot for your time and suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe AVCHDCoder?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'll try and see if I have better luck with it than I had with multiAVCHD. Gonna check out for a tutorial.

I was trying with MakeBD, but processing the file was taking ages, so I assume it doesn't do smart compile and just reencode anyway.

So, additional question: are the specs mentioned in the first post compatible with blu ray specs or do I really need to reencode it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you are looking to author your own discs you can use blu disc studio lite. it's about the only free blu ray authoring program i know of that works well. the files it will use have to be blu ray to blu ray spec. that audio you have won't work and unless the video was specifically rendered to blu ray spec it will probably have to be re-rendered also.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you, I'm checking it out, but it says it's a trialware with some limitations. Do you know what kind of limitations?
    Quote Quote  
  6. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by twinaleblood View Post
    Thank you, I'm checking it out, but it says it's a trialware with some limitations. Do you know what kind of limitations?
    --> http://blu-disc.net/versions.html
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This seems to be a list of the blu disc studio light limitations: http://blu-disc.net/versions.html

EDIT: Keyser was faster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i know it works fine. i've authored many blu ray discs with it. the version i have is freeware.Name:  2017-09-17_175418.png
Views: 646
Size:  20.9 KB
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. A while back I demo'ed just about every BD authoring tool which can be found listed in the software section on this site. All the paid ones have free demos. I suggest you do the same and look for one that suits you. A few tips to help you in your search:

1. Authored BDs come in several flavors: BDAV, BDMV, and BD-J. From what you described, it seems you just need BDAV support which is consumer oriented, or no menus. If you want menus similar to DVD menus, then you will need an authoring package that supports BDMV. BD-J gives you Hollywood-like features like popups but has an exponentially steeper learning curve.
    2. Each one has their quirks/limitations, even the paid versions.
    3. Spending a little money may be the best way to go for a program that is easy to learn and suits your vision.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok, a little update. After tinkering with many programs, I finally settled with multiAVCHD.

I added the video file to the project, I inserted the chapter points I needed and added a simple static menu with a jpg background and a play button. That's all I need, no intro screen, no setup menu or chapter menu.

I authored the project (selecting Blu Ray for BD-R/RE disc as output, as this is supposed to be played on my friend's standalone player. It's his wedding movie) and I got the BluRay folders I was expecting.

Problem #1: when I try to play it through VLC or MPC-HC (using the "open disc" option) it doesn't start with the menu, it starts with the movie. It's perfect and the chapter points are fine. At the end of the movie, it finally goes back to the menu screen (as I selected "back to menu" as the action to perform after a title ends).

Problem #2: when the menu appears at the end of the movie, the play button is there but it's not clickable, it doesn't work.

Any suggestions? Everything seems fine in the project and I don't know how to investigate further.

Keep in mind that in the project settings I did NOT flag the "skip top menu playback" option.

Thanks a lot for any useful tips!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Try it in a stand alone player.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'll try, even though I only have a Ps3 to play Blu Ray discs besides the recorder in my pc. Might have my friend himself to check it.

Thing is, blu ray are expensive, so I was wondering if there was a safe way to check this without risking to waste media.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Oh well, good news: I tried and it worked! Thanks TreeTops for the suggestion and thanks to everyone else for all the advice in this thread
    Quote Quote  
  14. In VLC, when you Media, Open Disc. . ., when you select the Blu-ray radio button you need to uncheck the "No disc menus" option.

Leawo Blu-ray player (free) displays the menus quite well, although you usually need to use the on-screen "remote control" to navigate the menus.

Kodi also works quite well with a little reading & tweaking.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by twinaleblood View Post
    I'll try, even though I only have a Ps3 to play Blu Ray discs besides the recorder in my pc. Might have my friend himself to check it.

Thing is, blu ray are expensive, so I was wondering if there was a safe way to check this without risking to waste media.
    Yes BD-R are expensive which is why if you are going to be authoring more than just a one off BD, then you should invest in some BD-RW. I never burn a final BD-R without testing on a BD-RW first.
    Quote Quote