VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have about 90 hours of video on mini dv tapes that I need to get on my computer. I no longer have the firewire equipment that I once used. Is there some other hardware convert that I can use?

Richard
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on the outputs from the camera. USB converters generally use composite input, not great quality.
    If the camera has S-Video, much better. Or HDMI, though the converters can be expensive.
    Alternatively, find a Firewire card for the PC. Ebay is one inexpensive source.

What camera do you have?

But others may have better ideas.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MiniDV data transfer via Firewire vs. some sort of analog capture device?
    No brainer...get a firewire card.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    MiniDV data transfer via Firewire vs. some sort of analog capture device?
    No brainer...get a firewire card.
    Agreed. If I have to buy another computer just to add a firewire card, then so be it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That computer could be rally old one and you do not need to be connected to internet or your own LAN (safety), I'd just ask around if needing one. if that computer was bought after 2000 approximately it should be alright as long as it has a room for that card. Just clean it with ccleaner , uninstall whatever programs you can, do not allow many known applications to run at startup that does not have to be running. Get some firewire card, use Scenalyzer Live to capture miniDV tapes. If not having anything to play those miniDV tapes with firewire out, that I guess is bigger problem than not having a computer.
    Last edited by _Al_; 17th Sep 2017 at 21:16.
    Quote Quote