VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My vista 32bit machine has the gigabyte P-55 motherboard. I added an SSD sata drive for high res photo editing.

When copying a folder of photos or movie in that same ssd.

I usually get only 135-150MB/s for a folder of photos each photo around 100-300MB size.
    When copying a HD video file like an .mov I get around the same sometimes peaking to 150MB/s

The above is the same roughly for both my SATA 2 & SATA 3 connections, however crsytal diskmark sata2 is alot slower. (252MB/s seq vs 350)
    In samsung magician it looks to say I have no AHCI mode i think? Could that be the reason the ssd is slow?

[Attachment 43108 - Click to enlarge]

Do you think this is just an old machine or a driver issue? Looking at the drivers on this page,what should I try & download.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You are copying files not from/to the SSD from another SSD but from/to the SSD itself?

You didn't say which board you have exactly but I had P55 for a long time as well and in my experience they are indeed slow. Either you have the limited Intel SATA ports or often they have an extra chip that is supposed to be SATA III (faster than the Intel ones) but in reality is as slow or even slower with bad PCIe connection and bad drivers. So to me the results sound about right.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    32bit pipeline is not helping either.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would try downloading the AHCI driver and install it then reboot and go into bios and enable the AHCI mode
    hopefully it will reboot okay and go like the clappers

Well its something that i would do but i dont know too much that mobo etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I try to recall but sometimes the 'grey-matter' lets me down.

My SSD is the boot drive so I guess I turned on AHCI mode in the bios BEFORE I reinstalled windoze. I also read that if AHCI mode is not turned on BEFORE installing Windows for versions higher than XP (since it is not supported out of the box) it will result in a BSOD if you attempt to turn on that BIOS setting after the install unless you do some registry hacking. Not for me to even go down that road.

But since the OP does not appear to have the SSD as his boot drive the above might not apply. Just do not blame me if you get a BSOD. You have been duly warned tho.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ahci shouldn't change the speed of the connection. ahci only adds ncq and hot plugging. what i see is weird is that his system report says he has no sata ports so is the ssd hooked up to an ide port with a sata to ide adapter?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    ahci shouldn't change the speed of the connection. ahci only adds ncq and hot plugging. what i see is weird is that his system report says he has no sata ports so is the ssd hooked up to an ide port with a sata to ide adapter?
    Nope, its through a real sata port. I got 6 sata II & two sata III ports.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    You are copying files not from/to the SSD from another SSD but from/to the SSD itself?

You didn't say which board you have exactly but I had P55 for a long time as well and in my experience they are indeed slow. Either you have the limited Intel SATA ports or often they have an extra chip that is supposed to be SATA III (faster than the Intel ones) but in reality is as slow or even slower with bad PCIe connection and bad drivers. So to me the results sound about right.
    To just test how fast the drives was, I copied files from/to the SSD itself. On the side of board it says sata III 6Gb/s.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have read that the difference between the SATA & PC-E SSD's can be pretty small with access times & boot up times.

Would this be the case for editing? Does the huge seq speeds make a big difference for most editing even multicam?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's time for a change.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the SSD partition correctly aligned? If it was formatted with Vista it should be. If the SSD was formatted with Windows XP or perhaps was previously used as an image clone from an older operating system then the partition may not be aligned. Might be worth a double check.

creakndale
    Quote Quote  
  12. Don't forget nothing can go faster than the system bus.
    Also copying a large number of small files (like jpg's) will slow things down massively.
    (Microsoft have never been any good at software and especially DOS software or anything technical really - blame them not the SSD)
    Also turn the paging file OFF - when using an SSD you dont want that on.
    If you have those crappy anti-virus scams installed you might want to get rid of them.
    Quote Quote