VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello
    If i would like to rip a DVD can i get a better image quality by like X264?
    i have some movies on DVD i would like to see if i can make better MKVīs of them
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by EpiCMovie73 View Post
    Hello
    If i would like to rip a DVD can i get a better image quality by like X264?
    i have some movies on DVD i would like to see if i can make better MKVīs of them
    Nope - quality will be almost always worse and rarely same as source - to deliver higher quality than DVD you need higher quality source, of course quality is highly subjective and something better for you may be worse for someone else - i can imagine poor source used for DVD and after some signal processing better perceived result however objectively it will be always worse.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In Handbrake, you can choose to output H.264 or H.265. I have ripped several DVDs to H.264 MP4, and the image quality is just OK.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EpiCMovie73 View Post
    rip a DVD can i get a better image quality by like X264?

x264 is not a measure of quality. You can files using x264 that look very good, and you can have them look very bad.

And starting with the same source material, such as a DVD, you can create files using various codecs which all have the same quality.

As noted above, you cannot create a file with better quality than the source material. At most, you can expect to maintain the existing quality.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    "x264" is not a codec. The name of the codec is "h.264".
    x264 is only one of many h.264 encoding engines.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote