VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all

I've been photographing with a D700 for the last few years but feel that I'm due an upgrade as the focus is starting to shift. I'm wondering whether to invest in a Nikon D810, but I would need to sell my D700 and also my Sony HXR-NX30e video camera to part-fund it. I'm wondering whether anyone can give me some advice about the video quality of photography cameras (particularly the D810) vs the quality of camcorders (particularly the Sony HXR-NX30e). It needs to be good, as although I mainly work with photography I am sometimes called upon to shoot a professional video for weddings etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use a video camera to shoot videos. The ergonomics are better and the picture is potentially just as good.

Take a look at the Sony FDR-AX100 on the low good end.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Use a video camera to shoot videos. The ergonomics are better and the picture is potentially just as good.

Take a look at the Sony FDR-AX100 on the low good end.
    Thanks for the advice, but I already have a Sony HXR-NX30 which is good. I'm just wondering whether the filming quality would be comparible on a Nikon D810 photography camera. If so then I could sell my existing camcorder and camera to get a '2-in-1' so to speak. My current stills camera is flagging .... hence the need for the upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Why don't you pick up a D810 from a reputable seller with a generous return policy? Then try it out and compare the results with your Sony. It will only cost you return shipping if you decide not to keep it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    One simple way to check whether any cam combo is good enough for your needs - if wedding is to be shot with single continuous takes(s), see longest recordable single clip length.
    Many DSLR cams shoot video fine, but most won't do over 30min at a single take. Some have legal ceiling, some have filesystem ceiling, some have heating issues.

Scott
    Quote Quote