VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have extracted an AC3 5.1 audio track from DVD. I want to convert it to six separate wav files. It sounds simple but I've asked about this before without success. Can it be easily done?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe Audacity can do this
    Quote Quote  
  3. Audacity tells me it can't open the .AC3 file.
    Last edited by phantomengineer; 5th Sep 2017 at 17:35.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Though I haven't tried it with AC3 5.1, I saw this on Audacity's site:

"You can install the optional FFmpeg library to import and export a much larger range of audio formats including AC3, AMR(NB), M4A, MP4 and WMA(on Mac only, Audacity can import unprotected M4A, MP4 and MOV files without FFmpeg). Audio files that are DRM-protected to work only in particular software cannot be imported. FFmpeg will also import audio from most video files or DVDs that are not DRM-protected."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks, ffmpeg looks promising.
    Quote Quote  
  6. or eac3to

Code:
    eac3to input.ac3 output.wavs
    or if you don't like cmd line, you can use a GUI for it
    see here
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/300964-Help-Split-6-Channels-into-separate-WAVs
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would use the ffmpeg library version from the Audacity site. May be customized for Audacity. I just installed it from their site and opened a MKV with 5.1 audio and it looks OK with six channels audio showing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Audacity needs the ffmpeg import/export plugin to open AC3 files or A/V containers like MKV, MP4, AVI, etc.
    http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#How_do_I_downloa...ort_Library.3F
    Quote Quote  
  9. None of these things are working. None. I mean I can't even install them. I follow the link for eac3To and all I get is a conversion utility that looks nothing like the screenshot. I'm trying to add ffmpeg to Audacity and I think I'm following instructions but nothing happens, Audacity still says I can't open .ac3. I've installed many programs before, why are these kind of things so confusing?
    Quote Quote  
  10. 5.1 AC3 file drag-and-dropped onto Audacity+ffmpeg:

Click image for larger version

Name:	aud.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	43062

I do remember the setup being a bit difficult. But it can work.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Apparently I can't get the Audacity+ffmpeg: thing happening. I have no idea why.
    Quote Quote  
  12. For eac3to, look at the later post #6 for a link to the "older' style GUI
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/300964-Help-Split-6-Channels-into-separate-WAVs#post2128113

Even easier, in that same post is a link to a batch file. You don't have to set anything like paths up, just copy your ac3 file to the folder and double click the bat file

For audacity, did you look at the screenshots ? Did you look at preferences => libraries => ffmpeg library ?
    http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_and_updating_audacity_on_windows.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have used BeSweet and BeSweet GUI to do this in the past.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by phantomengineer View Post
    None of these things are working. None. I mean I can't even install them. I follow the link for eac3To and all I get is a conversion utility that looks nothing like the screenshot. I'm trying to add ffmpeg to Audacity and I think I'm following instructions but nothing happens, Audacity still says I can't open .ac3. I've installed many programs before, why are these kind of things so confusing?
    Did you install ffmpeg from Audacity site or regular ffmpeg? I think it won't work with regular ffmpeg. I can open almost anything directly in Audacity with this plugin. Never had any problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Me and Audacity never got along well either.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Yes, BeSweet:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6MonoWAV.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	43080  

Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you are not afraid of commandline tools try this

Wavsplit from wavtools
    Last edited by jan5678; 6th Sep 2017 at 14:22.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Yes, BeSweet:
    BSsweet is a bundle of confusion. I open a AC3, have the AC3/OGG/PCM thing selected and the green box says DTS to WAV.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by badyu17 View Post
    Originally Posted by phantomengineer View Post
    None of these things are working. None. I mean I can't even install them. I follow the link for eac3To and all I get is a conversion utility that looks nothing like the screenshot. I'm trying to add ffmpeg to Audacity and I think I'm following instructions but nothing happens, Audacity still says I can't open .ac3. I've installed many programs before, why are these kind of things so confusing?
    Did you install ffmpeg from Audacity site or regular ffmpeg? I think it won't work with regular ffmpeg. I can open almost anything directly in Audacity with this plugin. Never had any problem.
    It appears you can't do that. I went to the Audacity site, clicked "Downloads", scrolled to the bottom, clicked FFmpeg FAQ (the only thing about FFmpeg I fond) and it says "Because of software patents, Audacity cannot include the FFmpeg software or distribute it from its own websites. Instead, following the links below to instructions to download and install the free and recommended FFmpeg third-party library."

So no, I didn't download it from Audacity.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Well I got it to work. It was a runaround and I had to get an older ffmpeg because my Audacity is old but I seem to be in business. Thank you everyone for your assistance.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just a note. I DL'd the latest version of Audacity for my new W10 PC. And if you look to my first post, there is a link (In red) to Audacity's version
    of 'FFmpeg library'. There is a version for older Audacity software and a version for the newest one that I used. Rebooted and Audacity opened the 5.1 AC3 file.

There is also a link there to a MP3 codec for Audacity output as that cannot be included with Audacity because of legalities.

But, I'm glad you got it to work.
    Last edited by redwudz; 6th Sep 2017 at 19:35.
    Quote Quote