VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to take Bluray screencaps on my HP 15 Notebook My laptop can't read Bluray dvd's. I have a Pioneer Bluray USB External Player/Burner (BDR-XD05S) which plays my Blurays very well. But I can't find a player and decryption program that work together to give me a Bluray menu option to take screencaps.

PowerDVD 17 is a great player but doesn't decrypt Blurays, neither does VLC. I've downloaded PotPlayer which I can't get to play any disc at all. I've also downloaded Media Player Classic Home Cinema which plays fine, but the AnyDVD HD decryption program I downloaded gives me no menu option on Media Player Classic Home Cinema to take screencaps. Do I have to go to Geek Squad to get this problem solved?

Thank you so much for your help.

PS: If Ripping is my only option, please recommend a high quality free program.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wharton1972 View Post
    I want to take Bluray screencaps on my HP 15 Notebook My laptop can't read Bluray dvd's. I have a Pioneer Bluray USB External Player/Burner (BDR-XD05S) which plays my Blurays very well. But I can't find a player and decryption program that work together to give me a Bluray menu option to take screencaps.

PowerDVD 17 is a great player but doesn't decrypt Blurays, neither does VLC. I've downloaded PotPlayer which I can't get to play any disc at all. I've also downloaded Media Player Classic Home Cinema which plays fine, but the AnyDVD HD decryption program I downloaded gives me no menu option on Media Player Classic Home Cinema to take screencaps. Do I have to go to Geek Squad to get this problem solved?

Thank you so much for your help.

PS: If Ripping is my only option, please recommend a high quality free program.
    Actually PowerDVD 17's Ultra version plays commercial Blu-ray discs just fine, but it doesn't allow making screencaps from copy protected media.

Make MKV is a free (while in Beta) Bu-ray ripper. DVDFab Passkey Lite (a free decrypter whcih runs in the background) could allow using MPC-HC or PowerDVD 17's Ultra to make screencaps for some Blu-ray discs, but not all. DVDFab Passkey Lite is not updated as often as DVDFab Passkey, which is paid software, nor does it defeat the more advanced Blu-ray copy protection methods.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Sep 2017 at 14:45.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, usually_quiet, am I screwed? Is there no way to screencap Blurays? The dvd's I want to screencap were released in 2009 and 2011.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wharton1972 View Post
    So, usually_quiet, am I screwed? Is there no way to screencap Blurays? The dvd's I want to screencap were released in 2009 and 2011.
    So, download Passkey Lite and try it. If that doesn't work out, there is always MakeMKV. What do you have to loose other than time?

I've done it with PowerDVD Ultra 12 + DVDFab Paskey, so there is definitely a way if there is a willingness to pay for software.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I've never had much luck with Passkey lite, but you can actually download the full DVDFab Passkey and use it for a whole month. I find the best way to screencap using Passkey is the VLC media player. This is all you have to do:

1. Download (click on "try it free") and install DVDFab Passkey (https://www.dvdfab.cn/passkey-for-blu-ray.htm)
    2. Restart your laptop
    3. Plug your external player in and put the disc in. The Passkey should pop up and say it's decrypting the disc.
    4. Start VLC
    5. Click on "Media" in the upper left corner, and then go down to "Open disc". Click on it, and a little box will pop up with several tabs at the top. Click on the "disc" tab. This gives you a "disc selection" page. Click on Blu-ray, and then press the disc device drop down menu, and choose the right disc device (it will say the name of the film on the one you need to choose so you'll know which one it is).
    6. Press play.
    7. Now you can watch, and screencap, your Blu-ray films using the VLC player, all for free!

The best thing about VLC, IMO, is that you can slow the speed of the film down which makes it really easy to screencap. I find that the program runs best if you keep the film on a slower speed the entire time, which is fine if you only want it to screencap anyway.

One month should have plenty of time to cap both your films. If you have any questions just ask. I hope this helps.
    Quote Quote