VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I've been using this unit to archive my VHS with great quality but it's suddenly begun eating my radios. I made a YouTube video in the hopes that this might be something I can fix myself. Whenever I try to eject the cassette, the tape does not thread back through the cassette.

Anyone have any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTxaqBqkylA
    Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 4th Sep 2017 at 11:29.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Do Fast-Forward and Rewind work properly?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your take-up reel drive belt is probably slipping or broken. The belt may be available at fry's or you can use a rubber band to replace it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    The video shows that the takeup reel turns fine in Play mode so the belt is working. The problem is that the supply reel is not pulling in tape during unload. It twitches just a bit and then stops. So there is a problem with the idler gear, or the idler lever, or the clutch, or the control cam.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like the capstan belt fell off or broke,never use a rubber band to replace,always use a replacement belt.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    The video shows that the takeup reel turns fine in Play mode so the belt is working. The problem is that the supply reel is not pulling in tape during unload. It twitches just a bit and then stops. So there is a problem with the idler gear, or the idler lever, or the clutch, or the control cam.
    Any idea how I might find out? Or should I just bring it to a shop, if I can find one 😞
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Take the bottom cover off and see if any belts are off/broken.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Again, if the belt were broken, the takeup reel would not turn. And it does turn.

To diagnose, you really have to take out the mechanism and main board as detailed in the service manual, then install a temporary jumper that permits the mechanism to go through every mode without a cassette loaded. Otherwise, you can't see what's happening with the idler.

You didn't answer my question about FF and Rewind.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Again, if the belt were broken, the takeup reel would not turn. And it does turn.

To diagnose, you really have to take out the mechanism and main board as detailed in the service manual, then install a temporary jumper that permits the mechanism to go through every mode without a cassette loaded. Otherwise, you can't see what's happening with the idler.

You didn't answer my question about FF and Rewind.
    Sorry for the delay. It's been a truly hellish work week. I checked FF/REW and FF works properly but REW makes the unit shut down. Also, stop/eject now seems to be working properly. The tape threads back into the cassette to eject. Clearly that doesn't mean the problem is fixed, by any means. I'm just throwing it out there.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    So there's no doubt that your supply reel is not being driven consistently. The idler gear is supposed to flip over to the supply side, mesh with the spindle gear, and turn. You can make a cheater cassette to see what's going on. Take out the reels, cut windows in the top and bottom and cover the side holes that are revealed when the door is open.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    So there's no doubt that your supply reel is not being driven consistently. The idler gear is supposed to flip over to the supply side, mesh with the spindle gear, and turn. You can make a cheater cassette to see what's going on. Take out the reels, cut windows in the top and bottom and cover the side holes that are revealed when the door is open.
    I'm going to assume that this is far too much for me to do alone and I should hire a repair guy.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc View Post
    I'm going to assume that this is far too much for me to do alone and I should hire a repair guy.
    If you do find a decent tech, esp within NYC, please report back with their name and location. Experienced VCR techs who know the difference between a JVC 9800 and an Emerson from WalMart are getting thin on the ground lately.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I did get a response from James Rattazzi @ rattazzitech.com and he said he knew exactly what to do. It's $100 for an in-home fix.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check on Youtube for repair videos for your deck. Might be a lot cheaper than you think to repair. Been doing well with 12voltvids and others for repairing my old Betamax units...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    12voltvids are pretty great, but you still need to have an array of tools, mechanical aptitude, and lots of patience. Plus a lot of time when you are a beginner. Hopefully, you will also be a heck of a lot neater than 12voltvids; his workshop floor must be covered in bits of things he lets fly off into space.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to replace the idler assembly, the the gear and lever in the center of the reels. You can get it at http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/HRS9800U/1758/0334000.html. I would also replace the belt as well. I did TV - VCR work for 30+ years until I retired.
    Quote Quote