VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Thread

1. Hello guys! Few months ago I decided to write simple application for those who are having issues trying to install Windows 7 on modern PCs/Laptops (not working mouse/keyboard , blue screens during installation and so on).
    This tool was originally posted in January 2017 on polish forum and now I finally decided to make it more accessible outside polish internet. I hope this tool will make your life easier

What does this tool do?
    • Integrates updates till 2020
    • Integrates necessary drivers for modern PCs/laptops (USB3.0/3.1,NVMe,wi-fi, LAN and so on)
    • Integrates installer from Windows 10 (better support for NVMe drives)
    • Integrates post-setup script which installs NET Framework 4.8, VC Redistributables and WuaCpuFix ( https://github.com/p-lider/WuaCpuFix )

Important notes:
    • This tool won't work with custom images containing both x86 and x64 versions!
    • Make sure that you have more than 20 GiB of free space!
    • Whole updating process may take even few hours!
    • Yes .7z archive is huge because there are two windows 10 installers included (x86 and x64) and bunch of drivers!
    • CSM must be enabled in BIOS!

List of drivers in package:
    Code:
    Alcor Micro Smart Card Reader
    Alcor Micro USB Card Reader
    Alpine Ridge USB
    AMD MISC
    Aquantia LAN
    Asmedia USB
    Atheros Bluetooth
    Atheros Wireless
    Broadcom LAN
    Broadcom Wireless
    Etron Technology USB
    Fresco Logic USB
    Genesys Card Reader
    Intel AHCI
    Intel Bluetooth
    Intel Camera
    Intel Chipset
    Intel DPTF
    Intel IO
    Intel LAN
    Intel MEI
    Intel NVMe
    Intel USB
    Intel Wireless
    Micron NVMe
    NVidia MISC
    OCZ Toshiba NVMe
    Plextor NVMe
    Realtek Audio
    Realtek Bluetooth
    Realtek Camera
    Realtek Card Reader
    Realtek LAN
    Realtek Wireless
    Renesas Electronics USB
    Rivet Networks LAN
    Samsung NVMe
    Tehuti Networks LAN
    Texas Instruments USB
    VIA USB
    Ryzen 3950x

DOWNLOAD
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/rboz5cp9glofjd0/Windows_7_Image_Updater.7z
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0DNUxh.png
Views:	6465
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	43015  

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 14th Aug 2020 at 07:37.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I tried running the above application on a system with an i5 CPU, 8GB RAM and an 1TB SATA3 HDD. I used an untouched ISO x64 image and an 8Mps Internet connection. The application run overnight for 12 hours and completed around 75%. No error messages appeared, but I had to abort to leave home for work. The "Whole updating process may take 1-2 hours!" statement above is simply not realistic.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes it is realistic! On my system with SSD it only takes about an hour.
    Uncheck Apply to all editions and select specific edition you want to install. This should significantly reduce time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
    Yes it is realistic! On my system with SSD it only takes about an hour.
    Uncheck Apply to all editions and select specific edition you want to install. This should significantly reduce time.
    Better add this in the important notes too, but 12+ hours still seem a long time. To what size does the ISO image grow after applying to all editions?
    Last edited by kyrcy; 13th Oct 2017 at 14:05.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Updating all editions (Home Basic, Home Premium , Professional , Ultimate) took on my machine exactly 2 hours
    https://pastecode.xyz/view/fe8e0cbf

Final ISO

As you can see you will need 8GB pendrive.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Updating all editions took just over 18 hours to complete with a SATA3 7200RPM HDD.
    Last edited by kyrcy; 22nd Oct 2017 at 07:00.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hey Atak thank for all the good work on this tool but i have an issue

the tool does not make an iso file for me at whatever location i choose

it runs through all the steps but the file never gets created, i have tried using a folder and iso(2 + different iso's) to do this

Can you please help me what am i doing wrong?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Check log.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I am having a bit of trouble with this tool...I have selected my ISO, which is straight from Microsoft, Windows 7 pro 64-bit with SP1, file name "x17-59186.iso". I have tried 4 or 5 different times and it always starts throwing errors and fails to install every single driver. Then it throws error #5, and exits.

I am attaching my log...if you have a moment and have any idea why it is not working, i would love the help. This is exactly what I was looking for to get Windows 7 on my new Coffee Lake system, but sadly it is not working and I don't know why....

Sample from log file:
    [2017-12-28 18:52:57] Installing 82 of 83 - C:\Windows 7 Professional\Windows_7_Image_Updater\Windows7\Driv ers\x64\Universal Serial Bus controllers\Intel USB 3.0 Driver\Win7\iusb3hub.inf: Error - An error occurred. The driver package could not be installed.
    [2017-12-28 18:52:57] For more information, check for log files in the <windir>\inf folder of the target image.
    [2017-12-28 18:52:57] Installing 83 of 83 - C:\Windows 7 Professional\Windows_7_Image_Updater\Windows7\Driv ers\x64\Universal Serial Bus controllers\Intel USB 3.0 Driver\Win7\iusb3xhc.inf: Error - An error occurred. The driver package could not be installed.
    [2017-12-28 18:52:57] For more information, check for log files in the <windir>\inf folder of the target image.
    [2017-12-28 18:52:57]
    [2017-12-28 18:52:57] Error: 5
    [2017-12-28 18:52:57] The command completed with errors. For more information, refer to the log file.
    [2017-12-28 18:52:57] The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Please first update your host OS (Windows 7 I assume). You are using outdated DISM.
    For example check version of this file DmiProvider.dll
    It should be at least 6.1.7601.23471

BTW. In few days I will update this tool with added new drivers.

Full list of drivers in next release (green = new drivers)
    Code:
    Alpine Ridge USB
    AMD Chipset
    Asmedia USB
    Atheros Bluetooth
    Atheros Wireless
    Broadcom Wireless
    Genesys Card Reader
    Intel AHCI
    Intel Camera
    Intel Chipset
    Intel DPTF
    Intel Graphics
    Intel IO
    Intel LAN
    Intel MEI
    Intel NVMe
    Intel USB
    Intel Wireless
    OCZ Toshiba NVMe
    Plextor NVMe
    Realtek Bluetooth
    Realtek Camera
    Realtek Card Reader
    Realtek LAN
    Realtek Wireless
    Samsung NVMe
    Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 29th Dec 2017 at 06:45.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't know that much about DSIM, so I searched for i and it was found in this folder: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Dism.

For DmiProvider.dll, mine is version 6.1.7601.23471, which I believe you said is the minimum that would work? Unless I am looking in the wrong folder? My host PC is Windows 7 Pro x64 with all of the latest downloads from Microsoft update, so I am not sure where to go to update this to a later version? Would trying a different PC work as you seem to think it is a host issue?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Do you have enough free space on system partition (HDD/SSD) ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I have 16GB free on my system drive (C. I can make more if needed.

I ran dism /? at a command prompt and it came up with a different version (6.1.7600.16385)....so it appears i have multiple versions of the dll.

I am currently running a fresh windows 7 install on an older desktop so I will have a fresh install....will try to create images from there for my new coffee lake system..
    Quote Quote  
  14. When my tool is working observe free space on C:. I guess that 16GB may not be enough.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for doing this for Win 7!!!!!!!
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  16. v2018.01 has been released! (more drivers)

Code:
    AMD GPU
    Broadcom Wireless
    Genesys Card Reader
    Intel Camera
    Intel Chipset
    Intel DPTF
    Intel IO
    Intel LAN
    Intel MEI
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What security updates are included? Thx for update!!
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  18. Question, what are the issues of installing Windows 7 on modern systems? I successfully ran Windows XP on a 2010 computer with no problems. But admittedly, M$ continued supporting XP until 2014 while they dropped support for Windows 7 this year.
    So say I do put my OS drive in a new rig. What would happen? And what does your tool do to make any difference? Will we still experience potential problems in the future?
    You say you add drivers but if they're not compatible with Windows 7 then how does that work smoothly?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Question, what are the issues of installing Windows 7 on modern systems
    Lack of integrated USB3.0 drivers means not working keyboard and mouse in installer! Laptops for example do not have PS/2 ports at all! So there is no easy workaround.
    Another problem due to lack of above drivers is this message

Another problem is with NVMe SSDs. Unpatched Windows7 won't recognize that drive!

You say you add drivers but if they're not compatible with Windows 7 then how does that work smoothly?
    Do you really think that I'm that stupid to add drivers not designed for NT6.1 ????
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1lMCZhW.png
Views:	418
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	44288  

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 2nd Jan 2018 at 06:54.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Aludin View Post
    But admittedly, M$ continued supporting XP until 2014 while they dropped support for Windows 7 this year.
    That's not correct. They're supporting Win7 until January 2020, they're just not testing the updates with CPUs newer than Skylake respectively Bulldozer/Piledriver. Intel and AMD aren't (officially) supporting Win7 on these CPUs, either.
    Quote Quote  
  21. AMD aren't (officially) supporting Win7 on these CPUs, either.
    That's a lie!
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%207%20-%2064
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I really hope you keep this tool I development. I am planning a new build soon and this will be a huge help. Thx!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice work, Atak_Snajpera. I'm in, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will be trying soon...any new version coming?
    Quote Quote  
  25. On thursday...
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Two observations after testing the ISO image I created above: 1) The message to press a key to boot from DVD seems to appear for a second time while start booting and 2) A large number of new updates (700-800MB in size if I remember correctly) are still found after installation that seem too many.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
    AMD aren't (officially) supporting Win7 on these CPUs, either.
    That's a lie!
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%207%20-%2064
    Wow, I know AMD backtracked on their statement with Ryzen support on Win7. Guess they are just publicly saying that but really doing the opposite. I'm ok with this.
    Quote Quote  
  28. outstanding software many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  29. v2018.02 - Change Log
    Code:
    Added: Support for splitted images (install.swm)
    Added: Support for compressed images which use LZMS-solid algorithm 
    Added: Automatic splitting of install.wim if file size is bigger than 4095 MiB (FAT32 Compatibility)
    Added: Automatic recompression using the strongest algorithm supported by selected installer (2009 [Win7] installer supports only LZX while latest [Win10] much more efficient LZMS-solid) 
    Added: Automatic import of any files to selected edition(s) via Import folder (Folder structure after importing is maintained!)
    Updated: Tools (7z v18.01 , DISM 10.0.16299.15 , oscdimg v2.56, rufus v2.18.12.13 , wimlib 1.12.0)
    Quote Quote