VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I Convert vhs cassettes to digital format for my computer Terratec G1, USB 2.0 video Catcher

I only play them by computer. Is h.264 mkv format better than h.265 mkv? VHS are PAL format and convert them first huffyuv format and edit h.264 or h.265 mkv. (720 x 576 pix)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Computerman1 View Post
    I only play them by computer. Is h.264 mkv format better than h.265 mkv?
    h.265's main advantage is the possibility of smaller file size at about the same perceived quality as h.264, but h.264 may still be more practical at present.

Unless your GPU includes h.265 hardware decoding, h.264 will use fewer system resources. If you later find that it is necessary to play some of these files with something other than a PC, h.264 has better support.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Side to things mentioned by usually_quiet - in SD coding gain from H.265 over H.264 will be marginal - H.265 is designed for 4k and higher resolutions, also interlace is not supported directly. Other
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by Computerman1 View Post
    I only play them by computer. Is h.264 mkv format better than h.265 mkv?
    h.265's main advantage is the possibility of smaller file size at about the same perceived quality as h.264, but h.264 may still be more practical at present.

Unless your GPU includes h.265 hardware decoding, h.264 will use fewer system resources. If you later find that it is necessary to play some of these files with something other than a PC, h.264 has better support.
    That part of it HEVC/H.265 not only has a better visual quality at a low storage and bandwidth and lower bitrate saving to by as much as 50% so another words H264 encode at 8MB will about the same as H265 at 4MB bitrate.
    As usually_quiet point out it only useful if your GPU includes h.265 hardware decoding free up system resources.
    For H/W acceleration you want at lease 10-bit "Main10" or higher profile video support look for GeForce GTX 9 series or AMD 400/APU 8000 series or Intel 500.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Side to things mentioned by usually_quiet - in SD coding gain from H.265 over H.264 will be marginal
    I agree. And VHS is often quite noisy. This will reduce the advantages of H.265 even further.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed that converting my DVD collection using H.265 looks much better than when I used H.264. The size is also smaller and it's hard to tell the difference from the original.
    Do unto others....with a vengeance!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Methinks you don't see so good, dude.

The world gives good knowledgeable video advice and the half-blind ignore it.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 13th Sep 2017 at 05:13.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote