VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm new to capturing and video editing. A program called "Hybrid" was the easiest to load up AviSynth x264 sources, for conversion to x265 video.

Everything works fine...except during the conversion process, "Hybrid" always uses 100% of my CPU. Conversions typically take an hour or more per video. And I have to convert throughout the day. I don't like the idea of my laptop or PC running at 100% CPU most of the day.

So I would like some way to limit the CPU usage of this program. Unfortunately, "Hybrid" seems to have hundreds of options. But I can't find one related to my problem. Can anyone help me with this?
    Last edited by jaibubwan; 1st Sep 2017 at 12:00.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I assume you have a multi-core CPU. You should be able to limit the number of threads used by x264/x265 in Hybrid to a number lower that your CPU core count.

That said I find your idea .. bad. Let your hardware work at 100% - that's its job. I once ran a batch of encodes for like a week (at 100%). And of course if you reduce threads your encoding time increases ...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    I assume you have a multi-core CPU. You should be able to limit the number of threads used by x264/x265 in Hybrid to a number lower that your CPU core count.
    Maybe I found an option in "Hybrid" related to your suggestion.
    Navigated to 'Hybrid > Config > Internals'.
    There's an option called "FFMPEG/MEncoder threads".
    It says "detected CPU core count" is "8" on my system.
    There's a box where you can change that value.

Guessing if I lower that, it would accomplish what I want.
    Will have to try it out later and see. Will report back on result.

Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    That said I find your idea .. bad. Let your hardware work at 100% - that's its job. I once ran a batch of encodes for like a week (at 100%). And of course if you reduce threads your encoding time increases ...
    Unfortunately, I don't really have a dedicated converting rig.
    One is an HTPC I custom built for silent operation.
    The other is a gaming laptop that's past the warranty.
    My parents aren't buying me any new ones so I have to be careful how I use these.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, reducing the number of threads will reduce the CPU load. But the encoding will take longer. You should also run your encodings at low priority if you want to use the computer for other light tasks while encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There is no option in Hybrid to restrict the cpu usage to x%.
    That said:
    • Options under 'x265->Misc->Threading' allow to change the number of threads the x265 encoder uses.
    • 'Config->Internals->Handling->FFmpeg/Mencoder threads' allows to change the number of threads the decoder (ffmpeg/mencoder) uses.
    • 'Filtering->Avisynth->Misc->MT-Threads' allows to change the number of threads Avisynth MT uses.
    • 'Filtering->Avisynth->Misc->Disable MT' allows to disable MT for Avisynth.
    • 'Filtering->Avisynth->Misc->add distributor()' removed the distributor() call from the Avisynth script.
    Each of these options can potentially lower the speed and the cpu consumption.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Funny: Other people complain that they do not reach 100%

In addition: Advanced task managers (like SysInternals ProcessExplorer) allow to set the task priority to lower than default. I guess Selur might be able to implement that for Hybrid's process calls as well, but it is heavily OS dependent (e.g. under Linux known as "nice level").
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can adjust a process' priority and limit core usage with Task Manager's Set Priority and Set Affinity. So, for example, even if a program is running with eight threads you can limit it to using 4 cores. Note that x264 normally runs with 1.5x the number of cores (to Windows a hyperthreaded core is 2 cores).
    Quote Quote  
  8. @LigH: Hybrid already sets everything to 'idle' (on all OSs), but that doesn't limit the cpu load.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for all the advice guys!

What worked for me (converting x264 to x265) was setting:
    - "x265->Misc" = Pools: 1 / Threads: 4
    - "Config->Internals" = FFmpeg/Mencoder threads: 4
    I had to set both, or it wouldn't affect the CPU speed properly.

This causes the CPU to operate between 80%-85% during conversion.
    I feel like maybe 10-20 extra minutes are added to conversion time.

But the greatest benefit to me is that my laptop fan isn't spinning at maximum speed producing loud noise.
    I'll now be able to run some conversions during class, without worrying about distracting others.

Again, thanks!
    Quote Quote