VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Title says it all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    That's like asking what's better for transportation? Car or bike LOL
    If you don't know the answer you shouldn't be here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. h.265 can deliver similar quality at 2/3 to 1/2 half the bitrate of h.264. But it takes more CPU power to encode and decode. Most new devices support both but older devices do not support h.265. For example, regular Blu-ray players do not support h.265.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    h.265 can deliver similar quality at 2/3 to 1/2 half the bitrate of h.264.
    At least at very low bitrates. As the bitrates become higher the differences become smaller and some factors may even put H.264 ahead (depending on source, encoding software and whatnot).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    h.265 can deliver similar quality at 2/3 to 1/2 half the bitrate of h.264.
    At least at very low bitrates. As the bitrates become higher the differences become smaller and some factors may even put H.264 ahead (depending on source, encoding software and whatnot).
    Yes, of course. At high enough bitrates all MPEG family codecs can deliver very high quality.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, of course.
    To you and me it's obvious but not to the people asking questions on this sub.
    Quote Quote  
  7. When I compared them 6 months ago, I thought for lower resolutions (up to 720p), x264 was easily better than x265 at the same bitrate (at least at CRF18 type bitrates). https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/381376-Where-is-the-new-super-codec-%28the-Allianc...29#post2467576

x265 will probably come into it's own for 1080p and up. I haven't looked at the results of the latest MSU comparisons myself yet, but x264 is included. It's interesting when comparing HEVC encoders, x264 is still included as a kind of benchmark. HEVC Video Codecs Comparison 2017

I doubt 10 bit h264 will ever have mainstream hardware player support, whereas it'll probably be standard for h265.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I've compared them both recently. Using the same overall settings, crf 19, dts core, PGS subtitles. The actual file size was smaller by 400mb. Not a huge difference. Video quality was a bit sharper with better color using hvec x265 8bit.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hardy View Post
    The actual file size was smaller by 400mb.
    That's meaningless without the absolute file sizes. 100 MB vs. 500 MB is a huge difference. 10000 MB vs. 10400 MB is a tiny difference.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Even more-so because resolution wasn't specified either.

When I compared CRF18 for the 1024x576 encodes I mentioned in my last post, the bitrates were:

x265 = 3540 kbps
    x264 = 4960 kbps
    x264, Tune Film = 5166 kbps

So at the same CRF value x265 will no doubt result in a lower bitrate, but when I ran 2 pass encodes and compared them at the same bitrate I still thought x264 looked better. Actually.... it wasn't even a case of "thinking" x264 looked better. The screenshots I posted weren't cherry-picked.

It seems unlikely to me one encoder would result in "better colour" than the other, but my testing so far has only been with sources at 720p or lower resolutions. Chances are at 4k it'll be a different story, in respect to quality vs bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    It seems unlikely to me one encoder would result in "better colour" than the other
    Yes, often this is a hint for wrong testing method. (I don't want to imply that's the case here )
    Quote Quote